The Nikon TC-301 is a 2x teleconverter (also known as a tele-extender) that will multiply the focal length of the existing lens by 2x, and will cut back the amount of light by 2 f/stops. For example, using a 2x teleconverter with a 300mm lens will effectively increase the focal length to 600mm. A lens set to f/2.8 will now be f/5.6.
NOTE: Due to the high-quality design of this converter (5 elements/5 groups), the teleconverter will only fit and work with a select range of lenses. Only the following lenses are compatible:
AF lenses, in manual mode:
- AF 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G
- AF 28-100mm f/3.3-5.6G
- AF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D IF
- AF 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF
- AF-S 300mm f/2.8D ED-IF (II)*
- AF-S 300mm f/4D ED-IF
- AF-S 400mm f/2.8D ED-IF (II)*
- AF-S 500mm f/4D ED-IF (II)*
MF Manual Focus lenses:
- 180-600mm f/8
- All telephoto lenses 300mm and longer
* Occasional vignetting, when used at aperture smaller than f/11 with high-shutter speeds occasional uneven exposure might occur.