Formatt Combination Linear Polarizing and 85 Glass Filter - Light rays which are reflected become polarized. Polarizing filters are used to select which light rays enter your camera lens. They can remove unwanted reflections from non-metallic surfaces such as water or glass and also saturate colors providing better contrast. The effect can be seen through the viewfinder and changed by rotating the filter. The filter factor varies according to how the filter is rotated and its orientation to the sun.
Using tungsten film in daylight will produce a bluish cast. The 85 series will produce natural colors when shooting tungsten film outdoors.
This 85/polarizer combo filter converts Type B (tungsten) film to daylight and produces slightly cooler results than the 85B.
Note! Whereas the 85 series is used for tungsten film under daylight conditions, use the 80 series of filters when using daylight film under tungsten lighting
85 Series Conversion Chart
- An 85 decreases the color temperature from 5500-3400K
- An 85A decreases the color temperature from 5500-3100K
- An 85B decreases the color temperature from 5500-3200K
Absorbing Cell Technology
- The secret to Formatt's consistency in filter design lies in its unique "Absorbing Cell Technology" (A.C.T.); This unique process allows color correct dyes to be applied to optically pure, wafer thin absorbing cells and offers a controllability that ensures the smoothest grad lines and consistent color across the whole filter surface.
- This process is revolutionary compared with conventional filter dying techniques by eliminating the need to directly coat the glass surface itself. The repeatable performance gained through A.C.T. ensures that at any time you have to swap like filters for like filters mid shoot, you can do so with confidence with no discernable differences in color or density.
- Each filter is guaranteed flatness to a maximum 2-wave value and comes with an individual reading from a laser interferometer. Every filter is carefully verified with a densitometer and spectrophotometer to ensure consistent and accurate transmission, before leaving the factory - the result is an absolute purity of image that eliminates any unwanted colorcast caused by conventional greenish soda-lime glass.