Tele Vue offers the Bandmate Mars Type A and B filters, which are a pair of contrast-enhancing filters specifically designed for viewing Mars but also quite useful for Jupiter. Tele Vue offers a pair of filters because standard colored filters used to bring out detail on Mars' surface have the drawback of an artificial color imposed upon all of Mars' planetary features. The Type A and Type B will not do this.
The Bandmate Mars Type B Filter has a highly efficient, single band dielectric coating which achieves penetrating views of Mars' surface. Cosmetically, it appears quite similar to the popular '#21' filter, but the Bandmate Mars Type B's combination of a broadband anti-reflective coating on one side and special filter coating on the other side makes it far more efficient than the #21.
Because Mars is so very small, you should choose a very short (<5mm) focal length eyepiece to observe it and reserve extended study of the Martian landscape for the moonless nights of best seeing conditions.
All Tele Vue filters are individually inspected for cosmetic and optical properties, as well as being serialized.
- Single-pass-band dielectric coating specifically tailored to Mars
- Extremely efficient color rejection
- Optical grade BK7 glass
- Ion beam coating deposition yields hard, stable coatings resistant to temperature/humidity changes
- Precision-machined, laser etched aluminum filter cells
- Individually tested and inspected
- Made in the USA