The 5051 from TL Audio is a single channel voice and instrument processor with microphone, line and instrument inputs, a compressor, a four band equalizer and a noise gate. Housed in a 2U rack chassis, the single illuminated VU meter monitors the input level, output level or the compressor gain reduction.
Part of the Ivory 2 Series, the unit is a hybrid valve signal processor, which utilize low noise solid state electronics in conjunction with classic valve circuitry to produce an audio processing unit that offers a high quality signal path with a unique tube audio character.
- Microphone and line inputs are provided on electronically balanced XLR connectors and the line input is duplicated on an unbalanced 1/4" TS phone connector.
- A solid state, electronically balanced input amplifier is used to achieve very low noise, low distortion and wide bandwidth performance. An ECC83/12AX7A triode valve stage, run from a stabilized 150v DC supply, is used as a second stage voltage amplifier to obtain the classic vacuum tube sound and gradual overdrive characteristics.
- Phantom power and a 30dB pad are provided on the microphone preamp stage along with a switchable 90Hz high pass filter.
- A front panel instrument input is provided, thus allowing guitars, basses and keyboards to feed directly into the unit, removing the need for a separate DI box.
- Balanced and unbalanced line outputs are provided on XLR and 1/4" TS phone connectors that can be used simultaneously.
- A single illuminated VU meter monitors the input level, output level or the compressor gain reduction.
- Offers variable control of threshold and ratio, with switchable attack and release times and a choice of soft or hard knee compression modes.
- A "Hold" facility reduces LF distortion, and a side chain insert point is provided for frequency conscious compression.
- An independent gain make-up control is provided, to retain the subjective loudness of a compressed signal, plus an overall master output level control.
- The output control has a nominal 0dB of gain at its centre, with up to 15dB of further gain available to achieve the high level required for some digital recorders.
- Four band valve EQ with a triode valve stage in each filter
- Up to 12dB of cut or boost and a choice of four pre-selected frequencies on each band.
- An "EQ PRE" switch places the EQ ahead of the compressor in the signal path.
- Simple but effective noise gate with variable threshold to remove unwanted background noise.