Developed under license from Solid State Logic, the SSL 4000 Collection from Waves includes three plug-ins based on individual sections of the legendary SSL 4000 Series consoles and include the SSL E-Channel, the SSL G-Master Buss Compressor and the SSL G-Equalizer.
Waves has meticulously modeled the distinctive sonic characteristics of SL 4000 factory reference consoles and components provided by Solid State Logic and offer them as plug-ins for Digidesign Pro Tools systems running under Mac OS X and Windows XP.
Note! Software requires an iLock license. User must purchase an iLock if one is not present on their system.
SSL G-Master Buss Compressor
- Waves SSL G-Master Buss Compressor captures the unique sound of the SSL G series IC input and twin VCA gain-reduction amplifier design.
- Based on the renowned master buss center compressor of the SL 4000 G console, the original compressor has long been prized by top engineers for its ability to "glue together" tracks and is considered by many to be the ultimate finalizer that transforms a mix into a finished record.
- Also ideal for taming piano dynamics or adding punch to drums and percussion.
- Controls include Threshold, Make Up Gain, Attack and Release, Ratio, Rate-S (sets the Autofade duration,) Analog (modeling mode) and In.
- Modeled on the SSL G Series EQ292, the four-band equalizer offers greater gain change than the E-Series EQ and possess a slightly different curve.
- Includes a slight dip before a boost as well as a slight rise before a cut, which contribute to its sound, while its broader Q allows for more extreme equalization.
- Controls include High Pass Filter, Low EQ, Low Medium EQ, High Medium EQ, High EQ, EQ In, Phase Reverse, Master Output and Trim.
- The SSL E-Channel delivers the characteristic sound of the original's all-discrete design and its Class A, VCA chip.
- The equalization section is based on the renowned Black Knob equalizer, developed in 1983 by SSL in association with producer George Martin. The Black Knob equalizer featured enhanced cut and boost ranges and a steeper 18dB/octave high pass filter for tighter control of low frequencies as well as a smoother curve.
- Features a High Pass Filter, Low Pass Filter and a four-band parametric equalizer. The Split feature allows for positioning the Low Pass and/or High Pass filters before the dynamics processors and puts the filters in a dynamics sidechain for simple de-essing.
- The dynamics section features a soft-knee compressor/limiter and an expander/gate modeled on the SSL LS611E. Like the original, it can be placed before or after the equalization section and makeup gain is automatically applied to maintain a steady output level.
- The compressor's adjustable attack provides a choice between the default auto-sensing function which responds to the source material or a fixed 1 mSec attack time.