Counterpointer from Ars Nova is software that offers evaluation of both "species" and "free" counterpoint. It can serve as a self-contained introduction to counterpoint, as well as a tool to accompany counterpoint textbooks in a formal educational environment.
The software includes notation tools for entering and saving music and more than one hundred and fifty user-controllable style rules. Compositions can be saved, heard, printed and exported as MIDI files.
- Software for the study and analysis of musical counterpoint
- Species exercises based on the principles as put forward by Johann Joseph Fux (2, 3 and 4 parts)
- Species exercises based on generated c.f.s that are always new
- Exercises in realizing Roman numerals in 4-part vocal harmony (harmony based on Bach examples)
- Exercises in realizing figured bass in 4-part vocal harmony (harmony and bass from Bach examples)
- Free composition in two to eight voices using a custom choice of style rules
- Features an onscreen manual offering a basic introduction to counterpoint and explanations of each rule