The 8pre from MOTU is a FireWire based audio interface with eight microphone/instrument preamps that can function as a front-end for supported audio software, or as an optical-based converter for expanding systems that allow for ADAT optical input.
The 24-bit/96kHz capable interface provides sixteen fully independent inputs and with the included CueMix software, independent mixes can be created and all the inputs monitored with virtually no latency and no processor drain on the computer. The 8pre also includes a sixteen-channel MIDI interface.
The unit provides cross-platform compatibility with Mac OS X 10.3 or higher, Windows XP and all audio software and host-based effects that support WDM/ASIO/Core Audio drivers. Or, the included AudioDesk workstation software for Mac OS provides 24-bit recording/editing and 32-bit mixing, processing and mastering.
- FireWire audio interface for computers running Mac OS X and Windows XP
- Provides sixteen inputs with eight microphone/instrument preamps and twelve outputs including separate headphone and main outputs
- Each analog input provides a preamp (for both the XLR and TRS input,) a 24-bit/96kHz converter, individually switchable 48V phantom power, a 20dB pad and front-panel trim control
- Eight channels of ADAT optical I/O with two sets of optical connectors to provide eight channels of optical digital I/O at the high samples rates
- Operates as an optical expander for another audio interface, a digital mixer, etc.
- No channel sharing - the microphone inputs, ADAT optical I/O, headphone out and main outs are all handled as separate channels
- Includes CueMix DSP near-zero monitoring system
- Different CueMix mixes can be created for the main outs and headphones, or send/return loops for utilizing outboard gear with no latency
- Sixteen channels of MIDI I/O that is sample-accurate with supporting software
- Front-panel five-segment meters for all analog inputs, plus status lights for clock and interface/expander mode
- SMPTE time code sync via any analog input and SMPTE time code generation can be sent to any analog output
- Includes drivers for both Mac OS X and Windows XP, including ASIO, WDM, Wave, GSIF, Core Audio and Core MIDI
- Includes AudioDesk full-featured sample-accurate workstation software for Mac with recording, editing, mixing, real-time 32-bit effects processing and sample accurate sync
- Compatible with all host-based effects processing in today's popular audio programs