MIDI Power! Second Edition: The Comprehensive Guide - From how MIDI works, to how to connect devices through it, to how it integrates into a computer environment, MIDI Power! Second Edition is a comprehensive reference guide to MIDI.
The book provides an in-depth look at MIDI, its messages, and protocols, and the information necessary to navigate it with ease. Learn when to use MIDI, how to edit MIDI, what technology uses MIDI, what software uses MIDI, how MIDI is integrated into computers, and what that implies for musicians, sound designers, and audio enthusiasts.
MIDI Power! Second Edition provides complete coverage of MIDI hardware and software, is suitable for both Mac and Windows platforms.
About the Author: Robert Guerin is author of the popular "Cubase SX Power!" (Muska & Lipman Publishing, 1929685858), "Cubase Power!" (Muska & Lipman Publishing, 1929685459), and "MIDI Power!" (Muska & Lipman Publishing, 1929685661).
As a composer for the past 14 years, Robert has worked on different personal and commercial projects such as feature & short films, television themes, educational and corporate videos. Composing, arranging, playing, recording, and mixing most of his material, he has developed working habits that allow him to be creative without losing the sense of efficiency.
As a professor, Robert has teaches courses covering a wide range of topics, such as: computer software for musicians, digital audio technologies, sound on the web, sound in multimedia productions, hard disk recording, and many more. He has been program coordinator at Trebas Institute and a part time professor at Vanier College both in Montreal.
Robert has developed online courses on sound integration in Web pages and has written numerous articles for audio and music related online magazines. He has also published three successful titles on Cubase, a fourth book on MIDI (MIDI Power) and is currently collaborating on several other music-technology related educational products.
As an entrepreneur, he has developed many skills necessary in today's cultural world. Robert has expanded his knowledge and expertise to ensure his business survival by adopting new multimedia and web related technologies since 1994.
- Written for anyone who wants to understand how MIDI works and what it can do. This includes amateur and professional musicians, composers, sound editors, and more
- Serves as a comprehensive guide that readers can reference again and again
- Features coverage of the MIDI communication protocol, how to choose and set up MIDI software and devices, and information about synchronization, sequencing, music notation, and much more
- Suitable for both Mac and Windows platforms
Table of Contents
- The Basics
- Basic MIDI Messages
- Control Change Messages
- General MIDI and Standard MIDI Files
- MIDI Hardware Devices
- MIDI and the Computer MIDI Interfaces
- MIDI Inside Your Computer
- Sequencing with MIDI
- MIDI Software: A Sound Creation Environment
- MIDI Software Applications
- Deeper into MIDI: System Exclusive and Synchronization
- The Standard MIDI File Format
- Understanding Binary, Decimal, and Hexadecimal
- MIDI 1.0 Specification
- Understanding Timing Concepts
- The MIDI Troubleshooting Checklist
- Midi Arrangements: Tips & Tricks
- Review Questions: Answers