The PRE420 from Benchmark is a four-channel microphone preamp, designed to provide a transparent and wide-bandwidth signal path, along with low-noise, low-distortion, and superior RF immunity. The unit is equally suited for professional studio applications, as well as for recording and performance in live venues.
Each of the four inputs include +48V phantom power, a 20dB pad, and a 40Hz high-pass filter. Additionally, the unit features a very low-noise stereo mix bus with proprietary circuitry that achieves precise, distortion-free, constant-power panning. Utilizing the mix bus, the user can capture pristine direct-to-stereo recording from up to four microphones.
To assist in this process, a solo bus allows for monitoring of any individual microphone as well as any stereo or mono mix of microphones. The solo bus is routed to the balanced control room outputs and to the headphone amplifier. A switch is provided that enables the control room outputs to be muted on headphone insertion.
Gain is controlled by matched 41-detent pots, allowing the user to accurately recall particular gain settings. The preamp has an internal power supply and is housed in a single space, rack-mount chassis.
- Four-channel microphone preamp that delivers up to 500kHz of bandwidth, ultra-low noise and distortion, along with superb RF immunity
- Balanced, transformerless inputs and outputs
- Stereo mix bus and isolated stereo/mono solo bus
- The stereo mix bus includes MirrorPan - Benchmark's proprietary zero-distortion, constant-power panning technology
- Precision-matched monolithic low-noise transistor quads on each microphone input
- 60db maximum first-stage gain, adjustable to 70db
- CMF1 common mode RF filter on each microphone input
- Four direct XLR outputs, two control room XLR outputs, and two mix XLR outputs
- Matched forty-one detent first-stage gain controls on every microphone input
- Forty-one detent main output level control
- High-current, HPA2 "0-Ω" headphone amplifier with a switch that enables muting the control room output on headphone insertion
- Forty-one detent control room/headphone level control
- Adjustable peak warning indicator and variable intensity signal level meter on each channel and the mix bus
- High-current, high-speed, low-capacitance phantom protection circuits, fully protected against phantom hot-plug and cable-shorting scenarios
- Independently switchable +48V phantom power, 40Hz switchable high-pass filter, and -20dB pad per channel
- Ultra-quiet linear power supply with rear-panel input voltage selector