First Light Video - Beginning Film & Video Making: Camera & Lenses - This program focuses on cameras and lenses, aimed toward the beginning film and videomaker.
Featuring a "film crew" shooting at a miniature golf course and a go cart track, this program teaches students each step & concept of the film making process in a visual manner.
Samples such as how the dolly shot and zoom shot are executed and how they look on camera are valuable materials for student learning.
- Valuable both for classroom instruction & at campus libraries so students can review the material on their own
- The film camera gate: claw, aperture, aperture plate, pressure plate
- The film transport mechanism
- Methods of setting focus: zooming & physically measuring the distance
- Focusing the diopter
- Prime lenses & zoom lenses
- Focal length (wide, normal, telephoto)
- Depth of field
- Camera/subject distance influence on depth of field
- Choice of focal length/camera to subject distance
- Techniques of zooming & dollying
- Techniques of crane, booming & tilting
- Techniques of panning & tracking
- Aperture & iris opening