KONTAKT 3 from Native Instruments is a professional software sampler, that provides everything needed to load, edit, manipulate and play individual samples and sample instruments. It comes with an improved user interface, offers a more comprehensive set of features over previous versions, and an expanded library that includes 1,000 virtual instruments that cover all aspects of music creation.
A redesigned file browser makes it easy to search for material, despite the expanded 34GB sound library shipping with the sampler. To help with instrument editing, NI have incorporated a "Performance View" that maps all the important controls for the type of instrument being used into a single front-panel interface. This means the user doesn't have to enter the edit mode to make significant changes to the sound. Additionally, "Performance Views" have been created for every one of the one thousand instruments.
Also new is a powerful wave editor for slicing, looping and tempo synching samples. Moreover, slices are automatically mapped to a keyboard and a MIDI file created for inserting in sequencing program. A "Zone Envelope" feature allows for drawing custom envelopes directly on the waveform and individual slices can receive their own DSP processing. Modulation routing has been improved with "Quick Jump" and users can draw custom controller curves.
Kontakt II functions as follows:
- Stand-alone under ASIO, DirectSound or Core Audio
- Plug-in for applications supporting VST, AU and RTAS for Mac OS X
- Plug-in for applications supporting VST and RTAS for Windows XP/Vista
- Professional software sampler with enhanced user interface
- Sample Library with 33GB and 1,000 instrument presets
- Six diverse instrument collections - Orchestral (including selected instruments from the renown Vienna Symphonic Library), Vintage, World, Band, Synth and Urban Beats
- "Performance Views" created for all 1,000 instruments provide a dedicated control panel for immediate editing of each instrument
- Advanced surround sound features allow up to sixteen channel mix-downs
- Wave editor for slicing, looping and tempo synching
- Freely drawable envelopes per sample
- Slices automatically mapped to the keyboard and a MIDI file created for inserting into a sequencer
- Individual slices can receive their own DSP processing
- KONTAKT Script Processor for deep engine and feature customization
- Convolution effect adds real-life reverb characteristics or special effects to the sound
- Enhanced browser functionality affords a concise overview of essential information
- Vast selection of additional effects, filters and modulators. Convenient Group, Mapping and Loop editors for easy use of zones and slicing loops
- Universal Import of virtually any sample format