Since there is no cut filter of any kind in front of the cameras sensor, the Fujifilm IS Pro SLR Digital Camera is capable of imaging a broad frquency range from the UVA (380nm) through the visible portion of the spectrum and into the near Infrared spectrum (IR below 1000nm). However, it will not capture IR heat energy in ranges above 1350nm. This makes the camera ideally suited for a broad range of applications including forensic, medical, scientific and artistic uses.
The camera is built on the same platform as the FinePix S5 Pro digital SLR system, and incorporates Fujifilm's Super CCD SR sensor that uses a unique layout of twelve million paired photodiodes (6.17 million larger 'S' photodiodes for main image information, combined with 6.17 million smaller 'R' photodiodes for bright area information), and delivers improvements in noise, dynamic range, color and tonality.
The Real Photo Processor Pro ensures that the information is handled in such a way to produce images that are beautifully vibrant, with two stages of noise reduction that delivers an impeccably clean image, and also permits light sensitivity up to ISO 3200 while achieving sharp, low-noise images. Furthermore, dark noise reduction process, subtracts the residual, ambient noise on the sensor from the actual exposure. This helps the camera produce smooth, clean images when long shutter speeds are used.
The Fujifilm IS Pro is built using a tough, magnesium alloy shell, and has weatherproofing seals in all critical areas providing a camera that is not only technically advanced, but extremely durable. This makes it well suited for both interior and outdoor location shooting. The camera's shutter mechanism is also a testament to its durability, as it has been tested to exceed the key benchmark of 100,000 cycles. The Fujifilm IS Pro also affords the user much greater control over the unique image parameters that its technology provides. Six stepped dynamic range settings between 100% (normal dynamic range) and 400% (dynamic range expanded by two stops) will enable the photographer to achieve a broader range of detail in their images.
The Fujifilm IS Pro Forensic Zeiss Lens Kit adds a Zeiss 50mm Makro Planar F/2 1:2 macro lens with IR focus offset markings, CCD Dust Blower, the AC-135vn AC Adapter, Peca Filter Set (9 UVIR filters and 3 step rings), 15 Foot Combo USB/FireWire Cable, a Rubberized Protective Body Armor sleeve from Made Products, and the HyperUtility HS-V3 software for tethered shooting and advanced RAW file conversion.
- UV-IR Sensitivity
- The camera CCD is not shielded from UV and IR light, thereby providing the camera with the ability to capture the light spectrum ranging from UVA (380nm) through the visible portion of the spectrum and into the near Infrared spectrum (IR below 1000nm). However, the CCD is protected by a special formulated glass filter that facilitates basic maintenance and dust removal and aids in visible light, auto focusing.
- Super CCD SR Pro Image Sensor
- Boasting 6.17 million high-sensitivity S-pixels and 6.17 million R-pixels for wide dynamic range, the unique double-photodiode matrix of the Super CCD SR Pro delivered an astonishing difference in image quality. Furthermore advanced filters reduce moir problems.
- Real Photo (RP) Processor Pro
- Through a vastly improved signal-to-noise ratio and "two cycles of noise reduction", the RP Processor Pro enables users to take full advantage of ultra-high sensitivity up to ISO 3200 while images maintain clarity with greatly reduced noise, wide dynamic range and smooth tonality.
- A Broad Menu of Dynamic Range Settings
- The IS Pro gives you not only a wide dynamic range - critical to image quality, but also the capability to choose the optimum dynamic range setting for each scene. The selectable D-Range options include AUTO, 100% (STD), 130%, 170%, 230% (W1), 300%, and 400% (W2).
- Compatible with Nikon F-mount Lens
- The Nikon F-mount in the FinePix IS Pro accommodates a full range of Nikkor F-series lenses - including AF-D, AF-G and AF-S type professional optics.
- Password Protected Feature Lockouts
- Since field use of this camera may be done by a number of different people, the camera has the option of locking out access to certain features, so inexperienced users will be guaranteed to have the camera in the proper settings for the application at hand.
- Use for Normal Photography
- The camera can be used for conventional daylight photography by adding an optional UVIR cut filter to the lens.
- Facial Detection Technology
- With Fujifilm's Post Capture Face Detection, captured faces are automatically zoomed in during playback to confirm facial detail such as focus and exposure on the LCD monitor of up to 10 faces per image.
- RAW+JPEG Dual-save Mode
- The FinePix IS Pro also has the ability to record JPEG and RAW files simultaneously to the memory card. This will enable photographers to view and distribute smaller-sized JPEG images, whilst retaining the ability to work on the larger RAW files later on a PC or Mac. This dual option is available with a variety of image sizes, giving the option to store either a small, e-mailable file size, or a larger, more detailed JPEG.
- Optional TIFF Format
- Investigative photographers often require images produced in TIFF directly from the camera. Since most DSLR cameras today now only offer RAW as an option, the IS Pro offers an optional firmware upgrade that will support camera TIFF file formats in three resolutions. (RAW mode is not available during TIFF mode capture.)
- High-precision i-TTL Flash Control
- The FinePix IS Pro offers Intelligent Flash with the i-TTL full-aperture exposure metering system providing outstanding results with all Nikon compatible speed lights. This allows you to take advantage of a host of creative lighting options, even on location.
- Solid & Durable Body
- The robust lightweight magnesium-alloy body resists dust and moisture, and provides physical durability and shock resistance. Furthermore, the durable shutter unit has been tested to approximately 100,000 releases without fail.
- 2.5-inch LCD Display
- The high quality 2.5" LCD Display provides over 235,000 pixels of resolution, gives 100% frame coverage, and accurate color, to accurately check image focus and color rendition. Further image confirmation comes from the ability to display an image histogram and view image metadata.
- Live Image Preview
- Fujifilm pioneered Live Image Preview. The IS Pro provides a 30 second live image CCD preview to the camera's LCD monitor directly from the imaging sensor in color or black and white. To further improve the process, the live image preview can be digitally magnified and brightness adjusted to improve focusing accuracy or to compensate for light intensity. The video image can also be viewed on an NTSC / PAL monitor or on the PC over the cameras USB 2.0 connection directly when using Fujifilm's optional HyperUtility HS-V3 software.
- Bar Code and Magnetic Stripe Reader Options
- The IS Pro can be connected to an optional serial port bar code reader or serial port magnetic stripe card reader using the optional Nikon MC-35 GPS/Serial adapter. Alphanumeric data read by the devices is stored in the IS Pro's image file as part of the EXIF header in JPEG, TIFF, and RAW file formats. This data can later be recalled so that images are synched to databases using special software programs. Bar codes of drivers licenses, employee IDs, automotive VIN tags, credit cards, evidence tags, employee ID's, or any object with a bar code can be recorded directly to the camera.
- Free Online Training
Users can "attend" a free online IR photography 101 training course from BioMed studios. This offer is redeemable after registering the IS Pro Camera at www.fujifilmusa.com/register, and an included flyer instructs you how to redeem this offer.
Note: Unfiltered color images will retain a pink hue due to the added presence of increased red and infrared light captured. A great deal of this cast can be eliminated by adding a hot mirror filter or UVIR cut filter to remove the presence of IR light.
Note: When using filters to cut visible light, the camera can not auto focus. To achieve proper focus, use the manual focus mode in combination with the camera's Live Image Preview mode to fine tune your focus on a subject.
Note: i-TTL Flash Control is not fully functional when the lens is filtered for IR or UV capture only.
Fujifilm IR UV Sensitive Digital Camera Firmware End User License Agreement (ULA)
By breaking the seal of this package, you acknowledge your understanding and acceptance of Fujifilm's Ultraviolet (UV) and or Infrared (IR) sensitive digital camera firmware End User License Agreement. The cameras firmware contained in this system package is fully activated to engage the cameras UV and or IR abilities and ready for use. No other firmware modifications are necessary to activate the camera's UV and or IR wavelength sensitive CCD. THIS LICENSE IS NON TRANSFERABLE.
You hereby acknowledge that your use of this camera's IR and UV light energy sensitive abilities as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware will be purely for; professional portrait, medical, academic, scientific, forensic, law enforcement OR fire investigative photographic activities. In addition, you further agree not to use the camera's firmware enabled abilities to engage in unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of ANYONE'S PERSONAL privacy, child endangerment, lewd photography, and or paparazzi like activities.