Although Pro Tools software is an industry standard and appreciated by its users for its elegant audio recording/mixer environment, many users bemoan the fact that they always need to have the hardware component connected, thus limiting their system's usefulness as a mobile editing system. Digidesign addressed this issue in part with the Mbox series of hardware.
But with the Mbox 2 Micro, Digidesign has finally provided a real portable editing solution for Pro Tools software. The Mbox 2 Micro system consists of a highly compact, USB digital audio interface, about the size of a USB Flash drive, that allows users to run the included Pro Tools LE software. It does not have any audio input, and only provides a headphone output on a 1/8" mini jack. But since the system is intended as a mobile editing system, neither of these limitations are a problem.
A headphone volume control is included, along with a USB extension cable for those situations where attaching the device directly to the computer is not feasible. The Mbox 2 Micro ships with the latest version of Pro Tools LE. HD users can edit their sessions, but with the obvious limitations imposed by the LE feature set - no TDM plug-ins, a 32-track limitation, and no Automatic Delay Compensation (ADC).
Systems purchased on or after October 3rd 2008 and all current purchasers are eligible to receive a free upgrade to Pro Tools LE 8 when it becomes available.
- USB interface with 24-bit/48kHz resolution in an ultra-portable, anodized aluminum form
- Perfect for on-the-go editing, mixing and music creation
- Single, stereo headphone output
- Convenient volume wheel for quick headphone adjustments
- Powered by USB (USB 1.1 connection, includes USB extension cable)
- Pro Tools LE recording, editing and mixing software
- Thirty-two simultaneous audio tracks, expandable to forty-eight tracks (with optional Music Production Toolkit or DV Toolkit 2)
- Fully integrated MIDI sequencing with 256 simultaneous MIDI tracks
- Over fifty processing plug-ins, virtual instruments and compatible applications
- Support for streaming ReWire applications into Pro Tools
- Beat Detective LE automatic groove analysis and correction tool