The Earthworks PM40 PianoMic System uses an unconventional approach to capturing piano with superior results while keeping the microphones hidden from view. Two high-quality, random-incidence omnidirectional microphones are mounted onto a telescoping bar for close-miking within the piano itself.
The microphone capsules may be mounted to either face, or point away from the dampers. The capsules themselves feature flex-arm goosenecks that enable further microphone adjustments to be made in order to achieve desired audio results. The PianoMic connects to the 5-pin input of the electronics-box, which in turn features dual 3-pin XLR outputs for connecting to a stereo preamplifier, two mixer channel inputs, etc.
While many experienced engineers may find the close-miking technique unconventional, special technology ensures optimum results and placement inside the piano means less leakage from nearby instruments, speaker cabinets and other noise sources.
- Internally Mounted Microphones
- The PM40 PianoMic system mounts within the piano bed itself for maximum results and minimal visibility.
- Random Incidence Omnidirectional Microphones
- Superior quality, random-incidence omnidirectional capsule compensate for transients and other issues involved with close-miking pianos. The result is low-noise and an excellent quality suitable for crucial recording and professional sound reinforcement applications.
- Flexible Adjustments
- The telescoping bar adjusts to fit any size piano and the capsules are set onto flex-arm gooseneck for perfect microphone placement.
- Electronic Output Stage Box
- A separate output stage box features a 5-pin XLR input and two 3-pin XLR outputs. A leather case with a strap allows the box to be mounted onto a piano leg.