DJ Skills: The Essential Guide to Mixing & Scratching is the most comprehensive, up to date approach to DJing ever produced. With insights from top club, mobile, and scratch DJ's, the book includes many teaching strategies developed in the Berklee College of Music prototype DJ lab.
From scratching and mixing skills to the latest trends in DVD and video mixing this book gives you access to all the tools, tips and techniques you need. Topics like hand position are taught in a completely new way, and close-up photos of famous DJ's hands are featured. As well as the step-by-step photos the book includes an audio CD to demonstrate techniques. This book is perfect for intermediate and advanced DJ's looking to improve their skills in both the analogue and digital domain.
Readership: Intermediate DJ's who wish to delve deeper into certain skills, and hear what some of the many high-profile professionals featured in the book have to say about these topics. People with a little bit of experience on DJ gear (bedroom DJ's), those with an interest in the art itself, Music Fans
About the Author: 25 years of experience as a DJ, record producer, engineer, session player, music director, studio designer and recording artist. Emmy Award-winning composer for film and television.
Recent appearances on NBC's Today Show, CNN Live, CBS Sunday Morning, and NPR's All Things Considered. Writer for Mix, Remix, Electronic Musician, Audio Media, and Pro Sound News magazines. Author of "Turntable Technique: The Art of the DJ".
- In-depth interviews with the best DJ's for their genre offering insight, tips and techniques
- Covers the hottest new trends- DVD video mixing, effects, computerised DJ
- CD with audio samples features US National DCM champion DJ Perseus to demonstrate techniques
Heritage: The Historical Record
- Chapter 1: The Evolution of Records, Chapter 2: The Evolution of the Radio DJ, Chapter 3: The Evolution of the Club DJ- Featuring original interviews with BT and Paul Oakenfold, Chapter 4: The Evolution of the Hip Hop DJ- Featuring original interviews with Grand Wizard Theodore and DJ Shadow, Chapter 5: The Evolution of the Scratch DJ- Featuring original interviews with QBert and Rob Swift, Chapter 6: The Evolution of the DJ as Musician- Featuring original interviews with Herbie Hancock, DJ Logic, Kid Koala, Faust & Shortee, and DJ Radar
Hardware: The Tools of the DJ
- Chapter 7: Turntable Tools, Chapter 8: CD, DVD and Hard Drive Decks , Chapter 9: Mixers & Effects, Chapter 10: Drum Machines & Groove Boxes, Chapter 11: Computerized DJ/Remix Tools, Chapter 12: Hardware Synths, Chapter 13: The Bizarre: MITs DJ I Robot
How-To: The Skills of the DJ
- Chapter 14: Mixing Skills, Chapter 15: Set Building Skills Chapter 16: Mobile DJ Skills, Chapter 17: Hip Hop DJ Skills, Chapter 18: Scratch DJ Skills
CD Contents- Featuring examples by US National DMC champion DJ Perseus
- -98 BPM Groove (for beat matching and mixing), 2-91 BPM Groove (for beat matching and mixing), 3-110 BPM Rhythm Track (for beat matching and mixing), 4-Scratch Samples (for scratch practice), 5-Vocal Samples (for scratch practice), 6-Band of White Noise (for scratch practice), 7-Basic (Scratch Examples), 8-Drag (Scratch Examples), 9-Scribble (Scratch Examples), 10-Tears (Examples), 11-Lazer 1 Hand (Examples), 12-Lazer 2 Hand (Examples), 13-Lazer Muted (Examples), 14-Swipes (Examples), 15-Uzi (Scratch Examples), 16-Sample Tips (Examples), 17-Tips & Tears (Examples), 18-Drum Tips (Examples), 19-Basic Fader (Scratch Examples), 20-Stabs (Scratch Examples), 21-Chirps (Scratch Examples), 22-Cutting (Examples), 23-Kick, 24-Kick & Snare, 25-Beat Scratching (Examples), 26-Fades (Scratch Examples), 27-Uzi Fades (Scratch Examples), 28-Echoes (Scratch Examples), 29-Transformer (Scratch Examples), 30-One Click Flare (Scratch Examples), 31-Two Click Flares (Scratch Examples), 32-Three Click Flares (Scratch Examples), 33-Twiddle (Scratch Examples), 34-Four Finger Crabs (Scratch Examples), 35-Three Finger Crabs (Scratch Examples), 36-Combinations (Scratch Examples)