The 141 from Aphex is an 8 channel digital to analog converter originally developed as an analog output module for use with the company's Anaconda digital snake system using the ADAT protocol. However, the unit can also be used as a standalone converter within other non-Aphex systems that require audio interfacing with ADAT data streams.
The 141 is as functional as it is reliable. The audio outputs are balanced but can be connected with unbalanced inputs. The front panel provides a trimmer for each channel to adjust the gain on the channel by 12dB. Audio connectivity is in the form of 25-pin D-sub connector that follows the Tascam analog standard.
The Lightpipe ADAT protocol specifies a maximum sample rate of 48kHz for 8 channel applications. Aphex elected to stay at that rate rather than employing S-Mux and losing channel count since most applications for the Anaconda system do not require higher sample rates. The 141 also supports 44.1kHz for situations where the original ADAT steam was generated using the lower sampling rate.
- Eight channel ADAT to analog converter
- For use with the Apex Anaconda digital snake or as a standalone ADAT converter
- Balanced audio outputs on 25-pin D-sub connectors
- Power/Locked LED indicator on front panel
- Maximum recommendation for ADAT to analog connectivity via Lightpipe is 10 feet