The Tiffen 62mm Soft/FX 3 Digital HT Filter diffuses strong light entering the lens and produces a glowing effect. While the resulting image appears softer and ethereal, there is little loss of clarity or detail. This filter works by diffusing the light entering the lens with small aberrations; by spreading the light more evenly, a soft glow is created rather than the sharp, well-defined image when shooting without a filter. This filter has a 3 density, providing a moderate amount of softening.
The Digital HT coating is a high transmission multi-coating that surpasses military specifications for hardness and durability. This optical purity combined with high scratch-resistance results in an easy-to-clean filter with superb imaging quality. They also feature low-profile titanium filter rings for increased strength and vignetting reduction.
- Diffuser filter provides an ethereal quality to photographs, resulting in a dream-like atmosphere.
- Soft image quality does not detract from the overall detail of the image.
- Light entering the lens is diffused by small aberrations, creating a soft glow rather than the sharp, well-defined image when shooting without a filter.
- Digital HT multi-coating provides increased strength, durability, and optical clarity for greater light transmission and protection against scratches.
- Tiffen filters are made using ColorCore technology; a process that involves laminating the filter substrate between 2 pieces of optical glass, grinding flat to a tolerance of 1/10,000th of an inch, then mounting to precision metal rings.