The X-Rack from Solid State Logic is a 19" rack mount chassis that can house up to 8 X-Rack modules, while providing the necessary power for them to function. The line of modules include mic preamps, dynamics modules, EQ, a master bus module and a choice of input modules. But the unit's similarity to products from other manufacturers that also provide this function, ends there.
The rack itself contains several internal buses that can, in concert with the Master Bus module, be accessed by the Microphone Preamp module, as well as the Four and Eight Input modules. This allows the X-Rack to function as a compact modular stereo mixer with up to twenty-eight inputs per rack. Such a set-up can be used as front-end or summing solution for a DAW, as an SSL based effects rack, or as a sidecar for a larger hardware console.
Another unique feature is the incorporation of the "Total Recall" function found on SSL's large format consoles and the smaller AWS 900 digital console. The Total Recall computer stores the status of each switch and rotary control in one of thirty-two internal memory locations. These can be recalled, compared with the current settings using front panel LEDs, and then adjusted to their original state.
The X-Rack can interface with the Total Recall system on an AWS 900 or AWS 900+. This allows the settings of up to three X-Rack units to be stored along with the AWS 900 settings. MIDI implementation allows for a certain amount of control over remote operation of the Master Bus module, and the sending or receiving of SysEx data to save or load all internal memory to a MIDI sequencer or librarian.
- Modular rack system that incorporates SSL's Total Recall capability
- Supports X-Rack series modules that include an eight input summing module, four channel input, master bus, microphone preamp, channel EQ and the original XL 9000 K console dynamics module
- Can be configured as a stand-alone mixer, an analog summing system for a DAW, or as a stand-alone processor solution for studio and live applications
- Working with the inserts of an AWS 900 digital console, the X-Rack system can provide a complete SSL channel processing solution for the console
- Multiple racks can be daisy-chained and linked to a single Master Bus module installed on only one of the racks