The Sony α (alpha) DSLR-A350 SLR Digital Camera features technologies that make picture taking faster, easier, and more familiar for first-time DSLR users. The camera's 14.2 Megapixel resolution APS-C CCD image sensor and BIONZ processing engine assures that users of all skill levels will produce superb image quality while the Quick AF Live View technology of the cameras variable angle 2.7" Clear Photo LCD Display makes framing your image as easy as it is with a compact point-and-shoot digital camera without sacrificing auto-focusing speed.
The Quick AF Live View feature is made possible by Sony's innovative Pentamirror Tilt mechanism that directs light to a dedicated live view image sensor, enabling fast and responsive TTL phase-detection auto-focusing, even during live view. Furthermore, the variable angle feature of the display makes it easy to frame scenes from high or low positions that would be difficult to view when using an eye-level viewfinder.
To aid shooting in low light, the camera incorporates Sony's Super SteadyShot image stabilization enables shutter speeds 2.5 to 3.5 steps slower than otherwise possible, and since the image stabilization system is built into the camera body, you'll be able to take advantage of the image stabilization with every compatible Minolta Maxxum and Sony(alpha) lens ever available. The DSLR-A350 also provides high sensitivity operation at ISO 1600 and 3200 while producing very low noise, plus Sony's D-Range Optimizer delivers suitable tonality and exposures with rich shadow and highlight detail, even under high contrast situations.
Although the camera is easy to use, the DSLR-A350 still can provide professional level performance and speed. It can shoot about three continuous frames per second when using the optical viewfinder, and the supplied InfoLITHIUM battery provides for fast start-up times, and long battery life - up to 730 shots per full charge when using the optical viewfinder and up to 410 shots per full charge in live-view mode. But even with all of these superb features, the DSLR-A350 is lighter and slimmer than previous models, and a comfortable camera grip with an easily accessible mode dial makes shooting with the A350 an enjoyable experience - even after hours of location shooting.
- 14.2 Megapixel Super HAD CCD
- The large APS-size Super HAD (Hole Accumulated Diode) CCD provides 14.2 megapixels of resolution for images with detail and definition. Furthermore, The Super HAD CCD allows more light to pass to each pixel to expand dynamic range, minimize noise more effectively (even at ISO 3200 sensitivity) and provide greater detail for making big prints or cropping in tight on your subject.
- Super SteadyShot In-camera Image Stabilization
- The Super SteadyShot Image Stabilization system uses a high-performance sensor that detects vibrations and the image stabilization system automatically compensates by moving the image sensor. Because image stabilization is built into the A350, the system works with any compatible lens (Sony Alpha & Minolta A-type), enabling you to capture sharp images at shutter speeds from 2.5 to 3.5 steps slower than would otherwise be possible, so you can shoot effectively at higher shutter speeds even in very low light with minimum blur from shaky hands or fast-moving subjects.
- Anti-Dust Technology
- All digital SLR cameras are susceptible to dust contamination when changing lenses, but the DSLR-A350 employs built-in systems to keep the sensor clean, and your images beautiful. First, there's an anti-static coating to help prevent dust from adhering to the low-pass filter and other internal components. Then to dislodge any particles that do manage to reach the CCD, the sensor is vibrated at ultra-high speed every time the camera is switched off to literally shake the dust off.
- Tiltable 2.7" Clear Photo LCD Screen
- The large 2.7-inch Clear Photo LCD monitor provides a sharp, clear view of your subject and tilts up or down for low-angle or high-angle monitoring. Its anti-reflective coating makes it easy to read camera setup menus even in bright sunlight and detailed shooting information and histograms can also be displayed for on-the-spot confirmation of exposure balance and highlight/shadow reproduction. In addition, the screen automatically switches to a vertical-format display when you rotate the camera for vertical-format shooting, and switches off automatically when you put your eye to the viewfinder.
- Live Preview Function
- The Quick AF Live View technology incorporated into the DSLR-A350 provides a familiar point-and-shoot style of usability while still maintaining the super-quick AF response and accurate exposure control one expects from a professional-quality DSLR. In Live Preview mode, the camera bypasses the optical pentaprism mirror and eyepiece so users can have an "eye-to-eye" view of the subject - be it loved ones, children, pets or fast-changing scenes - thereby allowing for easier framing of your image.
- Smart Teleconverter
- The DSLR-A350 provides the ability to electronically zoom in on your subject with just the touch of a button with no degradation in picture quality. One touch zooms in at 1.4x, the second touch advances to 2X zoom -- creating the 35mm equivalent of a 200mm telephoto effect when using the standard 18 - 70mm zoom lens.
- Bionz Image Processor
- The DSLR-A350 is equipped with a BIONZ image processing engine using hardware-based Large Scale Integrated (LSI) circuitry to enhance images with rich tonal reproduction, improved white balance and exposure control, and expanded D-Range Optimizer capabilities to assure superb print quality and greater post-processing flexibility. Furthermore, with 2-channel data transfer from CCD to processor, BIONZ image processing engine allows the camera to respond faster.
- Expanded ISO Sensitivity
- The DSLR-A350 provides a sensitivity range from ISO 100 to ISO 3200, and when shooting at the higher ISO settings, the BIONZ engine assures the highest possible image quality by applying high-ISO noise reduction immediately before each image is processed. This, together with powerful Super SteadyShot image stabilization, enables you to use faster shutter speeds in low light, and greatly expands the range of situations in which you can shoot.
- Dynamic Range Optimizer
- The D-Range Optimizer helps ensure beautifully balanced exposures in backlit situations, and helps to recover details hidden in shadows or lost in glare. In the Normal DRO mode, brightness and contrast are optimized for the image overall, and in the Advanced DRO mode, each area of the composition is optimized separately to bring out maximum shadow and highlight detail.
- 9-Point Center Cross AF Sensor
- A fast focus motor and improved focus control help bring images into sharp definition more quickly, with predictive focus control that automatically calculates the position of a fast-moving subject.
- Eye-Start Autofocus System
- With the Eye-Start Autofocus System, the camera begins precision autofocus adjustments the moment you raise the camera to your eye - unlike most DSLR cameras that don't start focusing until the shutter button is half-pressed.
- Flexible, Accurate Exposure Control & Scene Selection Modes
- Exposure information is divided into 1200 zones of luminance and RGB color information to provide superior exposure control accuracy, plus you can also select center-weighted or spot metering modes. There is also 6 preset White Balance control settings and RGB Histogram display to check color balance. Along with auto exposure, the A350 gives you scene selection modes to optimize camera performance for Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Sports, Sunset and Night Portrait/Night View situations.
- Creative Style Settings
- You can adjust contrast, saturation and sharpness settings for any of 8 finishing styles including Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Night View, Sunset, B & W and Adobe RGB modes in order to express your creativity and personal taste.
- Fast Continuous Shooting
- Shoot continuously at up to 2 frames per second while you see your subject in the viewfinder, so you never lose track of the action. In JPEG burst mode, you can shoot up to the limit of your flash memory card; in RAW burst mode you can capture up to 6 shots, with intelligent buffer management to allow more shots to be captured without waiting for the buffer to clear.(though at a slower rate).
- Built-in Auto Pop-Up Flash
- In Auto or some scene selection modes, the camera flash automatically pops up and fires when needed to help you shoot more effectively. The flash power is rated at a Guide Number (GN) of 12 (ISO100m), with wide enough coverage to allow use with an 18mm fisheye lens.
- Index and Slide Show Display
- The large screen is great for viewing photos - to quickly review your photos, the camera can display a 4, 9 or 25-frame index to help you find your favorites fast, or use the automatic slide shows with fade-in/fade-out effect to view all of your images. Furthermore, the DSLR-A350 can automatically create high-resolution thumbnail images for viewing on Sony's BRAVIA HDTV in optimized PhotoTV HD mode, with image format adjustable for standard 3:2 or widescreen 16:9 display.
- Function Guide Display
- The on-screen menus are intuitive and easy to use, and a simple Camera Function Display can be activated and operated with one hand using the Fn (Function) button and controller button to adjust Flash mode, Autofocus mode, White Balance, Metering mode, AF area and D-Range Optimizer. It's a fast and easy way to get to frequently used functions without having to navigate through multi-level menus.
- Stamina Battery Power
- You can take up to 730 shots on a fully charged NP-FM500H InfoLITHIUM battery, and you'll be able to see about how much power remains in percentage increments, so you can keep shooting with the confidence that your cameras power won't suddenly quit on you.