The 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G Telephoto Zoom Lens from Sony is a G-series Sony Alpha telephoto zoom lens that uses supersonic-wave motor (SSM) technology for quieter, smoother AF operation. It is constructed of 16 elements in 11 groups, as well as its dual Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass, which all help to deliver sharp, clear photos throughout the zoom range.
It has a minimum focusing distance of 4.0' and a front-end filter diameter of 62mm. High-quality multi-coatings increase transmittance and reduce flare to preserve contrast, while its 0.25x maximum magnification and optional teleconverter compatibility give it increased zoom and versatility.
- Aperture Range: f/4.5-32
- In addition to the zoom range, the aperture varies along with the focal length: with f/4.5 to 5.6 at the wide end, and up to f/32 throughout the zoom range.
- Optimized For APS-C Size / DT-Format Alpha & Minolta DSLRs
- Optimized for Sony Alpha APS-C sensor cameras, the lens covers an outstanding 4.3x zoom range from a normal 70mm end to a 300mm telephoto zoom, which is the 35mm equivalent of an 105-450mm lens.
- 2x Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) Glass
- To reduce chromatic aberrations, most noticeable when zoomed all the way in, the extra-low dispersion glass corrects for certain wavelengths of light - producing sharper images with truer colors.
- Super Sonic Wave Motor (SSM)
- Designed for fast, smooth, silent automatic focusing, this unique technology achieves high torque at low speed with rapid start/stop response. It operates through the ability of a piezoelectric device to reshape itself quickly when voltage is applied.
- In-Camera Image Stabilization
- Because Sony's Alpha DSLR cameras have image stabilization built-in, the lenses attached to them don't require the added bulk. This leaves the lens lighter and more compact without the need for the added mechanics.
- Minimum Focus Distance: 4.0'
- With the ability to focus as closely as 4 feet (1.2 m), this telephoto lens also lets you move in for dramatic shots of people, natural subjects and close-up details.
- Filter Diameter: 62mm
- The 62mm from filter thread does not rotate, allowing rotating polarizing filters to be used.
- Focus Hold Button
- This lens is made with a Focus Mode switch and Focus Hold button, which offer better focus control whenever you need it.