The Tiffen 6.6 x 6.6" Combination Light Balancing 81EF/Neutral Density (ND) 0.6 Glass Filter combines the effects of an 81EF Light Balancing filter with a 0.6 Neutral Density filter.
An 81EF filter (the strongest in the 81 series) will more than replace the yellow missing from the image and place all skin tones on a distinctly "warmish" level. You might even consider using an 81EF at the beach to make a hot scene even "hotter".
It's Autumn. The clouds are low hanging and the sky is "patchy blue". You've gone for a ride upstate to the mountains and the light in open shade is bluish. A photo taken of your girlfriend with daylight balanced film leaning against the side of a barn will yield bluish tones that she might not find particularly flattering.
An 81EF filter (the strongest in the 81 series) will more than replace the yellow missing from the image and place all skin tones on a distinctly "warmish" level. You might even consider using an 81EF at the beach to make a hot scene even "hotter". The 81 series (81A, B, C, D and EF) allows you to choose how much warmth you wish to replace in the image.
Tiffen makes the 81 series of filters in many sizes to accommodate the many uses this filter has. This filter can be used by the pro and amateur alike, weekend photo warrior or pro cinematographer and must be considered an essential addition to any photo arsenal.
ND filters appear grey and reduce the amount of light reaching the film; They have no effect on color balance. They are very useful when you want to shoot high speed film outdoors on a very bright day.
Determining which neutral density filter yields ideal results for any given lighting situation takes knowledge, experience and a collection of such filters. Speaking generally, the 2-stop value (ND 0.6) effectively compensates average situations.
Tiffen, a leader in the filter industry, proudly makes its filters in the USA and backs up its products with a solid 10-year warranty.
Note! Whereas the 81 Series of filters creates a feeling of warmth, the 82 Series creates a feeling of coolness
81 Series Filters
- Good for general scenics when the photographer wishes to remove the bluish cast from open shade or just add warmth to the photograph, with an 81EF having the greatest effect
- 81 decreases color temperature from 3300 - 3200 Kelvin
- 81A decreases color temperature from 3400 - 3200 Kelvin
- 81B decreases color temperature from 3500 - 3200 Kelvin
- 81C decreases color temperature from 3600 - 3200 Kelvin
- 81D decreases color temperature from 3700 - 3200 Kelvin
- 81EF decreases color temperature from 3900 - 3200 Kelvin
Neutral Density filters Have Four Main Uses
- To enable slow shutter speeds to be used, especially with high speed films, to record movement in subjects such as waterfalls, clouds, or cars
- To decrease depth of field by allowing wider apertures to be used, which helps separate subjects from their background
- To decrease the effective ISO of high speed film (above ISO 400) and allow it to be used outdoors in bright situations
- To allow cine and video cameras (which have fixed shutter speeds) to film subjects such as snow, sand or other bright scenes which could cause overexposure
Neutral Density factors
- ND.3 (exposure adjustment = 1 stop, reduces ISO to 1/2)
- ND.6 (exposure adjustment = 2 stops, reduces ISO to 1/4)
- ND.9 (exposure adjustment = 3 stops, reduces ISO to 1/8)
- ND1.2 (exposure adjustment = 4 stops, reduces ISO to 1/16)