The Groovy Music series from Sibelius consists of three software programs for elementary and middle school students. Fun to use, the software teaches the basics of sound, rhythm, pitch and composition using pictures and animation, progressing to the study of simple notation as well as major and minor scales.
In Groovy Jungle, the second of the three programs, children seven to nine years old are introduced to notes and notation, ostinato, major and minor, and simple musical terms. More complex musical textures are explored, and additional instruments allow them to experiment further with their own compositions.
There are two main modes for the program, create and explore. In the explore section, students are guided aurally through a series of progressive musical exercises and games. In the create section, students can put into practice what they learned earlier by creating their own music.
Every version of the Groovy Music series has teacher controls. Teachers can control the kind of musical material that the children work with, control various settings within the program, and how the software will work in a computer or lab environment.
- Software that uses an imaginative virtual environment where students arrange shapes, characters and images to create music
- Music can be added to a composition by recording from a keyboard or other MIDI instrument
- Text can be created and edited
- Compositions can be viewed in a full score display
- Easily integrates technology into any teaching method
- Students learn at their own pace and own level
- Makes time with students fun and efficient
- Can be used on a single computer, whiteboard, or network
- In a network environment the teacher has control over children's screens and work-flow
- Uses the latest educational standards and teaching methodologies