The Groovy Music series from Sibelius consists of three software programs for elementary and middle school students. Fun to use, the software teaches the basics of sound, rhythm, pitch and composition using pictures and animation, progressing to the study of simple notation as well as major and minor scales.
In Groovy City, the third of the three programs, children nine to eleven years old learn more about notation, and complete more complex listening tasks. They are also introduced to question and answer phrases and the blues scale, so that they can begin to build up more sophisticated compositions.
There are two main modes for the program, create and explore. In the explore section, students are guided aurally through a series of progressive musical exercises and games. In the create section, students can put into practice what they learned earlier by creating their own music. Completed songs can be exported as MIDI files, making them playable on any computer system.
Every version of the Groovy Music series has teacher controls. Teachers can control the kind of musical material that the children work with, control various settings within the program, and how the software will work in a computer or lab environment.
Note! This package is an educational discount that requires proof of current educational status. Available to fully accredited K-12, College, or University Institutions in North/South America. Click here for the requirements.
- Software that uses an imaginative virtual environment where students arrange shapes, characters and images to create music
- Futuristic city themed Create mode with sounds more appropriate for older students
- Library of sounds includes patterns, as well as individual sounds
- Easily integrates technology into any teaching method
- Students learn at their own pace and own level
- Makes time with students fun and efficient
- Can be used on a single computer, whiteboard, or network
- In a network environment the teacher has control over children's screens and work-flow
- Uses the latest educational standards and teaching methodologies