ChannelStrip 2 TDM OS X from Metric Halo is a multi-processor plug-in developed to provide the sound and feel of an analog mixing console. It offers high audio quality, DSP and CPU efficiency, and a comprehensive user interface that allows users to work with Pro Tools systems as efficiently and interactively as they would with a dedicated mixing console.
The plug-in features eight bands of EQ, six main and two for use on the dynamics-section sidechain. The six parametric bands of the EQ are capable of deep notches and steep resonant peaks. Uses include finding "space" for individual instruments within a mix, or for re-tuning drums after they have been recorded.
The dynamics section of the ChannelStrip includes both an expander/gate and a separate compressor. The expander/gate is most useful when working with microphone-recorded sources. It provides an automatic gain-riding feature that mutes the input or track when the audio level is too low, as in the case of a noisy guitar amplifier, for example.
The compressor also provides an automatic gain-riding feature, but instead of changing the gain when the signal falls below a certain threshold, the compressor lowers the gain when the signal level is high. This allows the compressor to even out the dynamics of a performance and pull out low-level detail from the source material.
A delay function allows for time-aligning tracks that are part of a multi-microphone recording. In designing the plug-in, emphasis was placed on maintaining pristine sound with low CPU overhead, along with providing a user-friendly interface for improved workflow.
- Six-band EQ with six filter types and 2.5 octave bandwidth, 20 Hz to 22 kHz
- Peaking/parametric, high cut, low cut, low shelf, high shelf, and band-pass filters
- Compressor with ratio, attack, release control, and post EQ option
- Compressor has EQ dependant sidechain input
- Gate/expander with detector level meter, threshold, attack and release control
- Peak metering is available with clip indicators, as is metering on the compressor and gate
- Includes over 115 presets
- Functions within host software that supports Audio ProTools TDM plug-in formats