The Mobile I/O 2882 from Metric Halo is a portable, high quality FireWire based, multi-format audio converter and interface. Housed in a single space rack-mount chassis, the unit provides 18 inputs and 20 outputs of simultaneous I/O, while having the ability to be powered entirely from the FireWire bus of a laptop computer or from an appropriate DC power source.
The unit is equipped with 8 microphone/balanced analog inputs, 2 channels of digital I/O (AES/EBU and S/PDIF), 8 channels of ADAT optical I/O and 8 balanced analog outputs. The first 4 microphone/line inputs are on XLR connectors, but all 8 inputs can provide +48V phantom power for condenser microphone use. Wordclock in/out and dual FireWire connectors, along with 24-bit, 96kHz converters on all channels, make this the perfect tool for digital recording.
On-board DSP powers the v.5 MIO Console that can function as a mixer, router and control application. The software can be used to route any input to any output, providing powerful and flexible mixing possibilities. A "Record Panel" allows for straight forward recording of incoming audio without the need for additional DAW software. This is particularly useful in situations where immediate editing is not required, but stable, fool-proof recording is.
The 2882 Expanded will function at a high level in a variety of applications. For studio recording, it offers sound processing or simple file transfer between workstations. For broadcast applications it offers instant playback of 2 individual stereo sends for music cues or sound effects. For live performance, in addition to operating as a remote recorder, or to play out backing tracks and musical cues, the interface provides live engineers a simple and efficient tool for analysis and system venue tuning using optional SpectraFoo software.
- Fully portable FireWire audio interface and format converter
- Bus powered or use with external adapter that provides sufficient power for other peripherals
- 18 simultaneous input channels and 20 simultaneous output channels, all with full 24-bit/96kHz resolution
- 8 microphone preamplifiers (4 with XLR connectors) with switchable 48V phantom power
- Selectable stereo AES/EBU or S/PDIF digital inputs and outputs
- 8 channels of ADAT Lightpipe I/O (switchable to TOSlink)
- Wordclock I/O on BNC connectors
- Sample rate conversion (SRC) on digital AES or S/PDIF digital I/O
- Headphone amplifier with front panel mute/dim
- Stand-alone operation
- Front panel metering for analog inputs and outputs
- OS X drivers with multi-interface support
MIO Software Console
- v.5 Configurable mixer for near-zero latency mixing and routing
- Completely customizable mixing engine can be created from scratch or with any of the templates included
- Record Panel provides no-frills, but very stable recoding feature for all inputs
- A single input can be multi-ed and given various levels of DSP processing and then recorded as separate tracks
- An arbitrary number of busses can be created (limited only by the capabilities of the hardware), each of which can be used as a master bus (routed to an output) or an auxiliary bus (routed to other busses), with bus able to be dynamically adjustable from mono to 7.1 surround
- Integrated surround monitor controller/switcher
- "Character" slot available on all channels provides analog modeling of various circuit types, including tube based electronics, etc.
- Full console metering of every channel and mix bus
- Total recall of every console parameter