The Schneider 4 x 4" Neutral Density 0.6 Attenuator Water White Filter is designed to control overall exposure and/or various lighting conditions, without affecting color or contrast. In addition to permitting the use of high speed film in bright lighting conditions, they offer significant versatility.
Neutral Density Attenuators diminish distracting backgrounds by permitting the use of wider lens apertures, thereby reducing depth of field. Conversely, these ND Attenuators can be used to properly expose varying light levels within a given frame. They allow the amount of light reaching the film to be controlled without relying solely on the camera aperture. Speaking generally, the 2-stop value (ND 0.6) effectively compensates average situations.
ND Attenuators can be used alone or in combination with other Schneider filters with no degradation of image quality.
Note: Neutral Density Attenuator filters are available in 1,2,3 and 4 stops
Neutral Density Filters Have Four Main Uses
- To enable slow shutter speeds to be used, especially with high speed films, to record movement in subjects such as waterfalls, clouds, or cars
- To decrease depth of field by allowing wider apertures to be used, which helps separate subjects from their background
- To decrease the effective ISO of high speed film (above ISO 400) and allow it to be used outdoors in bright situations
- To allow cine and video cameras (which have fixed shutter speeds) to film subjects such as snow, sand or other bright scenes which could cause overexposure
- High-Quality Construction
- Schneider Neutral Density Attenuator filters feature crystal clear, water-white optical glass, protected against edge-chipping and delamination by Schneider's unique Edge Seal, which also significantly reduces edge reflections and flare
Schneider Quality Control
- Schneider filters are ground and polished to a precise flatness and plane parallelism
- Because all Schneider filters are designed and manufactured with the highest possible degree of consistency, you can swap like filters mid-shoot with no discernible variation in color or effect
Neutral Density factors
- ND.3 (exposure adjustment = 1 stop, reduces ISO by 1/2)
- ND.6 (exposure adjustment = 2 stops, reduces ISO by 1/4)
- ND.9 (exposure adjustment = 3 stops, reduces ISO by 1/8)
- ND1.2 (exposure adjustment = 4 stops, reduces ISO by 1/16)