The 4 x 4" HD Classic Soft 1/4 Filter from Schneider is a special filter that creates a unique type of "In-Focus Diffusion". In the style of famous Hollywood portraits of Garbo, Dietrich or Betty Davis, this filter diffuses without making the subject look overly softened. Overall sharpness is maintained irrespective of the degree of filter used. When shooting near bright venues such as windows, the HD Classic Soft will prevent the shot from being overexposed by controlling contrast.
This effect is created through Schneider's use of hundreds of Micro-Lenslets. The area of the filter surface that has a lenslet diffracts the light while the clear areas pass light unaffected. The result is a softened image that has a gentle glow to the highlights that minimizes blemishes while also adding a romantic feel. This filter is best used with longer lenses but can also be used in combination with other Schneider glass filters for even more creative control. The 1/4 HD Classic Soft filter takes it up another level with a bit more diffusion being added but still hardly noticeable. Contrast remains the same. Highlights take on a soft romantic glow. Skin blemishes continue to be blended.
It should be noted that with full frame sensor cameras, each filter will be one grade milder than a traditional Classic Soft filter. For example - an HD Classic Soft 1/2 will behave the same as a Classic Soft 1/4 on a full frame camera. With smaller sensors, 2/3" and smaller, the HD Classic Soft strengths match that of a full frame camera with a Classic Soft being used. For example, an HD Classic Soft 1/2 on a 2/3" camera will give a similar effect to an Classic Soft 1/2 on a full frame camera.
A Schneider filter is manufactured to very high standards such that this filter can be exchanged or switched between cameras with no concern for consistency of filtration.
Water White glass is characterized by a high transmission quality. Typically, it will transmit 98-99% of the light. It also features an anti-glare and anti-reflective quality that makes it useful in a wide range of uses including the movie theater industry, store and art displays. The glass is virtually defect-free and is becoming more and more prevalent in digital equipment.
Note! This filter is available in strengths of 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 1
- Especially useful for HD shooters - allows shooting in all HD formats, including 1/2", 1/3" and 1/4" chip cameras without fear of artifacts (the creation of visible lenslets when using wide angle lenses)
- Adds a very subtle glow to highlights
- Prevents overexposure in bright light
- Maintains contrast control
- Adds a romantic look to image
- The number of Micro-Lenslets per square inch determines the degree of softening and the grade of the filter
- The water white glass is diamond cut, ground and polished to exacting standards so that consistency from filter to filter remains uniform. It is possible to exchange filters from A to B cameras without fear of a lack of consistency or filtration