The 16-35mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss T* Wide-Angle Zoom Lens is a professional-grade, bright zoom lens specifically designed for the Sony Alpha SLR series (also compatible with Minolta Maxxum series) DSLR cameras. Carl Zeiss' optical design and anti-flare T* (T-Star) coatings used for this lens help to reduce flare and to increase contrast, in addition to the aspherical, extra-low dispersion, and super extra-low dispersion glass elements.
When used with a digital SLR camera with an APS-C sized sensor, the equivalent 35mm focal length for this lens becomes 24-52.5mm. With its wide angle zoom range and its constant aperture of f/2.8, in conjunction with the Super SteadyShot image stabilization system of the Sony Alpha DSLR camera system, this lens will provide excellent results even when hand-holding the camera with available light.
- Aperture Range: f/2.8-22
- With f/2.8 throughout the zoom range, up to a maximum of f/22, the high quality of this lens means you don't have to sacrifice aperture for higher focal lengths as some lenses do when zooming in.
- Optimized For APS-C Size / Alpha & Minolta Maxxum DSLRs
- Optimized for Sony Alpha APS-C size cameras, the lens covers a 2.2x zoom range from 16mm to 35mm, which is the 35mm equivalent of a 24-52.5mm lens.
- 3x Aspherical Glass Lens Elements
- These precision lens elements correct distortion for sharper, more visually accurate images across the entire zoom range of the lens.
- Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) & Super Extra-Low Dispersion (Super ED) Glass Elements
- To reduce chromatic aberrations, most noticeable when zoomed all the way in, the extra-low dispersion elements correct for certain wavelengths of light - producing sharper images with truer colors.
- Super Sonic Wave Motor (SSM)
- Designed for fast, smooth, silent automatic focusing, this unique technology achieves high torque at low speed with rapid start/stop response. It operates through the ability of a piezoelectric device to reshape itself quickly when voltage is applied.
- Carl Zeiss T* (T-Star) Coatings
- Coated optics were pioneered by Carl Zeiss...and this superb lens features T* (T-Star) coating that virtually eliminates the lens flare, internal reflection and light scattering that can otherwise occur at glass-to-air surfaces.
- 9x Circular Aperture Blades
- Circular aperture blades produce smooth, rounded bokeh background effects when capturing spot-light sources in your pictures. Because the aperture blades form a near circle at the wide openings used for low-light shots, spot-light sources have a pleasing circular defocused effect.
- Focus Hold Button
- This lens is made with a Focus Mode switch and Focus Hold button, which offer better focus control whenever you need it. For reliable operation, Auto Clutch prevents the manual focus ring from rotating in auto-focus mode.