The 95mm Coarse Thread) Soft Contrast 1 Filter from Tiffen reduces contrast in the opposite manner from the Low Contrast filter series. This filter absorbs light diminishing the highlighted areas while retaining the darker look of the shadow areas. In other words, the hot spots or bright areas of the image are reduced while the shadow areas remain dark.
Tiffen's ColorCore glass is produced through a process that entails permanently laminating the filter material in between two pieces of optical glass that are ground flat to tolerances of a ten-thousandth of an inch, then mounting them in precision aluminum rings.
Note! Soft Contrast filters are available in grades 1-5 with #5 having the greatest effect
- Results in a reduction in contrast
- This filter, like the Low Contrast filter, will cause a slight amount of flaring or halation
- The Soft Contrast filter has a neutral grey appearance, which drops the exposure
- Although it may seem to require it, Tiffen does not recommend any exposure compensation since this will negate the effect of the filter
- Tiffen's ColorCore glass is sealed between two optical glass sheets. In this way, Tiffen can better control the various densities of their filters and thereby create more exact degrees of filtration. This process makes for greater accuracy of color as opposed to glass that is simply dyed and become subject to deviation during the dye process
- Tiffen, a leader in the filter industry, proudly makes its filters in the USA and backs up its products with a solid 10-year warranty