Vixen's 8x42 DCF Atrek Binocular is a nice choice as a universal viewer for any light, produced by a company known exclusively for optics. An 8x42 model presents a broad enough exit pupil for nearly all conditions, along with a generous viewing angle and a fairly good capacity to soften a distracting background to nothing but blurred color. It makes an intelligent compromise.
Within the realm of roof prism 8x42s, the Atrek has a wider field and more eye relief than most of the competition in its price class. The metallic housing with armor feels nice in the hand, and with <5' close focusing you can even use the 8x42 Atrek for some butterfly observing.
- Vixen's fully multicoatings applied to all optical surfaces
- Waterproof/nitrogen-purged 100% fogproof performance
- Metallic alloy construction
- Durable rubber armor
- Twist-up style rubber eyecups with plentiful eye relief
- Excellent choice as a singular universal binocular
- Exceptional close focusing capacity