To fulfill the needs of digital photographers owning Nikon cameras with DX-sized sensors, Nikon produces the 35mm f/1.8 AF-S DX Lens.
This lens produces an angle of view similar to what a 50mm lens would produce on a full-frame/FX camera and thusly functions as a "normal" lens. Prior to the digital explosion, most shooters would begin their exploration into the world of photography with a "normal" lens with a large maximum aperture.
A lens of this type is the traditional standby for low-light shooting, careful composition, and street shooting. This 35mm f/1.8 Nikkor lens recreates that experience for DX format shooters who have been seeking a comparable "normal" lens.
Note: DX lenses are NOT recommended for use with FX "full-frame" digital or 35mm SLR cameras.
- Fast "Normal" Lens
- The 35mm focal length closely matches a 50mm lens in the FX format. This is perceived to be a natural lens as it provides an undistorted angle of view that is similar to what the unaided human eye perceives.
- A desirable lens for low-light, travel, environmental portraiture and overall general photography.
- Contains an Aspherical Lens Element
- The incorporation of an aspherical element minimizes coma and other lens aberrations, further improving image integrity.
- Super Integrated Coating (SIC)
- This lens coating enhances light transmission efficiency and offers superior color consistency with reduced flare.
- Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM)
- The motor embedded in the body of the lens enables fast, accurate and quiet autofocusing.
- 7-blade Diaphragm
- A rounded iris produces a more natural rendering of out-of-focus image elements.
- Close Focusing
- The 35mm f/1.8 AF-S can focus as close as one foot.