If you've found the common CD to be wanting in audio fidelity you're a candidate for the Onkyo C-S5VL Audiophile CD player with its ability to play Super Audio CDs. With a data rate of 5.6 Mbps sound pours out of an SACD at four times the rate of a CD. That higher data rate translates into a more precise, more nuanced, more realistic sound. It's like you're in the same room with the musicians.
There are more than 5500 SACDs available, about half of which are classical and jazz. Everyone of them contains audio sampled at 64 times the rate of a conventional CD and the C-S5VL can play every one of them with the lifelike fidelity true audiophiles demand.
Part of the credit for this player's audio quality lies in its use of a Wolfson digital to audio converter. Wolfson Microelectronics is a name known worldwide among discerning audiophiles for their advanced technology audio components.
Onkyo's own Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry (VLSC), previously found only on Onkyo's high end components, works with the Wolfson DAC to produce super clean, super realistic sound that's unsurpassed in this price range.
- Super Audio CD Playback
- Super Audio CD gives you the next step in the evolution of pristine sound. All channels provide for up to 100 kHz frequency response and a sampling rate of 2822.4 kHz—that's 64 times that of a regular CD! A multichannel SACD disc can provide you with up to 6 channels of high-resolution audio in addition to a regular CD layer for playback on any existing CD player.
- Multiple Playback Modes
- Sometimes you want to play a disc straight through from beginning to end. But sometimes you want more options. The C-S5Vl's remote allows direct track access so you can choose to play a particular song from across the room. You can also select repeat mode to hear a track again or shuffle/random play to mix up your audio mix a bit.
- CD Audio Playback
- The C-5SVL can play conventional audio CDs including CD-R, CD-RW and CD Extra (also known as CD Plus). And it plays audio recorded with the popular MP3 and WMA codecs.
- Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry (VLSC)
- Conventional D/A conversion methods reduce digital pulse noise at the conversion stage but can't remove it completely. Previously found only on Onkyo's high-end components, VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) employs a unique D/A conversion circuit to overcome this problem. Data is converted between sampling points and these points are joined with analogue vectors in real-time to produce a smooth output wave form. The result: a virtually noiseless, smooth analogue signal based on the digital source.
- RI (Remote Interactive)
- Simply place your iPod in the optional DS-A1 Remote Interactive Dock connected to any Onkyo RI-compatible amplifier/receiver to experience the powerfully rich sound of Onkyo audio-video components. Control your music from your RI remote and charge your iPod while you enjoy your iPod's digital music—and photos—through the power of the C-S5VL. Unlike purely iPod-dedicated systems, you can fully integrate the convenience and storage capacity of your iPod with all your other Onkyo home entertainment components—and share the experience with everyone.