Meade's LX200-ACF Telescope brings to market a sophisticated catadioptric optical design favored by research facilities worldwide, but at a price that many enthusiasts can afford. Most professional applications are either this style of telescope or a gargantuan apochromatic refractor. Meade's 10" LX200-ACF with UHTC multicoatings provides a serious deep space aperture in a size still ably transported within most vehicles by just a single person, and gives all this in a complete package within financial reach of many observers. If you're used to 8" Schmidt-Cassegrains and their performance, this LX200-ACF 10" scope will be a notable step up in all optical parameters.
Although this premium 10" catadioptric scope is delivered in a robust twin-fork altazimuth mount that's meant for delightful observing, it is easily adapted to extended astrophotography by using either Meade's Deep Sky Imager (which eliminates field rotation via software), Field De-Rotator, or #07008 Equatorial Wedge.
Power for the LX200 12" is supplied by 8 "C" batteries, but via optional accessories you can also adapt the scope to operate from an AC wall unit or from DC power via the #607 Cigarette Lighter Adapter (the #607 can also operate in the field off of a Celestron Power Tank instead of from a vehicle's cigarette lighter port).
For 2009, Meade has refined the delivery of the LX200-ACF models to meet the demands of the marketplace. They now no longer include an electric focuser as standard equipment, and use a Series 4000 Super Plössl eyepiece instead of the Series 5000 version.
- Advanced f/10.0 Optics
- Advanced catadioptric optics perfect for demanding research and enthusiast imaging; renderings of stars remain tight circles from center to edge of field.
- GPS Receiver Sensor
- The LX200 features a Sony® GPS receiver sensor, which automatically inputs ultra-exact time, date & location values to help quickly align the telescope with remarkable (~1 arc minute) precision.
- Smart Mount & Smart Drive Technology
- By constantly refining the pointing accuracy each time an object is centered and updated, Meade's Smart Mount & Smart Drive technologies provide permanent periodic error corrections (PPEC) on both axes by learning and averaging errors over the course of one or more training periods, to minimize guiding corrections during long-exposure astrophotography.
- Primary Mirror Lock
- The LX200's primary mirror can be locked in place to benefit long-exposure astrophotography as well as focus retention while slewing.
- UHTC Ultra High Transmission Coatings
- UHTC Ultra High Transmission Coatings (employed upon all optical surfaces) yield a 20% decrease in light loss and dramatically-enhance detail of deep space objects.
- Extensive Imaging Capacity
- Make shorter exposures immediately with a digiscoping adapter, SLR adapter, or piggyback camera adapter. Longer professional exposures can be achieved with the #1220 Field De-Rotator, Wedge, or any of Meade's Deep Sky Imagers which feature field de-rotation software.
- 3 Power Options
- Use 8 "C" batteries right out of the box, or instead adapt to AC power with the #07584 AC Adapter or to a vehicle's cigarette lighter port with the #607 DC Power Cord with Cigarette Lighter Adapter (catalog #07043). The #607 DC Power Cord can also operate from the power supplied by a Celestron Power Tank in the field.