The Rodenstock 23mm f/5.6 HR Digaron-S Lens is a super wide angle large format lens specifically designed for use with digital backs, which require a smaller image circle with extreme resolution, color correction, and maximum performance at a large aperture. This lens is recommended for use with backs having a 33 x 44mm maximum image area, and upon such a back it would provide a view similar to that of a 18mm lens upon a 35mm format camera. This HR Digaron-S is delivered in a standard type Copal #0 shutter.
In many cases, digital photography is superior to conventional photography if the desired end product is a printed image. To achieve this ideal, however, a much higher demand is made upon the image reproduction quality of the lens. This is because of a digital image chip's smaller area, which means finer details in a scene are squeezed into a smaller image recording area, as well as their sensitivity to color fringes.
But Rodenstock's digitally-specific lenses such as this HR Digaron-S provide image quality which allows the maximum capacity of a digital back to be realized. The lens utilizes every technological possibility to get as close as possible to the absolute limits of diffraction- determined resolution, even accounting for the properties and thickness of a CCD's protective glass. With the HR Digaron-S, you can use digital backs with a pixel pitch as small as 5µ.
Despite the short focal length of 23mm, this HR-Digaron S provides an adequate 44.8mmm flange focal length, which allows technical cameras such as the 12 Platform, Sinar arTec, Cambo Wide DS/RS, Silvestri BiCam, Alpa, etc. to take advantage of it without physical problems. Within the camera when focused at infinity, this lens allows 16mm of space between the rear of the barrel and the image area, permitting as much tilt and swing as would ever be needed.
- Extreme high resolution lens specifically for digital backs as large as 33x44mm
- Produces extremely fine, uniform 70mm image circle
- Flange-to-sensor distance of 44.8mm and flange-to-rear-barrel length of 28.8mm allow use on modern digitally-specific cameras w/o interference
- Super wide angle view with 112° coverage
- Apochromatic design to eliminate color fringing
- Ideal working aperture range of f/5.6-8
- Accepts 72mm threaded filters
- Rear barrel diameter of 48mm