How would you like to be able to put every single one of your CD's, DVDs and Blu-ray discs into a single player that automatically sorts them by genre and displays jacket art, artists, producers, directors and more? With the Sony BDP-CX960 400 Disc Blu-ray/DVD/CD MegaChanger you can.
It uses your high-speed Internet connection to connect to the Gracenote server and download disc "metadata" (information about the disc).
The BDP-CX960's 400 disc slots allow you to keep and play your entire collection in one convenient spot. (If you have more than 400 discs buy two—you can afford it!) But there's also a "Rental Disc" slot that allows you to play a single disc without adding it to your collection.
Sony has dubbed the BDP-CX960 a "MegaChanger" but beyond the convenience of keeping your entire entertainment library in one place there's an honest to goodness fully featured Blu-ray disc, DVD and CD player in there. For instance, this player features both the popular Bonus View and BD-Live features. Bonus View is to Blu-ray discs sort of like the commentary track is on some DVDs. Except that the information (interviews, commentary and so on) appears in an onscreen window with the push of a button.
For BD-Live you need a USB thumb drive with 1 GB of free space and your Internet connection. When you play a BD-ROM (another name for Blu-ray disc) that is BD-Live compatible it can connect via the Internet to provide content like streaming video, trailers, movie-based games, shorts and more.
Blu-ray discs display such great video you want to make sure your player can also provide great audio. The audio tracks on virtually every Blu-ray disc (and many DVDs) are encoded with one or more multi-channel audio codecs (coder-decoders) like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. This player includes these and many others. Typically they provide 5.1 or 7.1 channel surround sound that works almost as well with just two speakers as they do with the full complement of speakers required. You find yourself in an immersive, expansive sound field that has to heard to be believed.
Even your DVDs will look better on the BDP-CX960. Its Precision Cinema HD Upscale displays them at near HD quality. This is the one player you need if you want to get the very best from your entire entertainment collection. And it may even help you buy more discs. It meets or exceeds all Energy Star 3.0 standards. So you should save a little bit on your electric bill every month.
- Stores and Plays 400 Discs
- The BDP-CX960 Blu-ray disc MegaChanger can store and play 400 Blu-ray disc movies, DVDs and CDs, allowing you to free up valuable shelf space and relocate all your discs to one convenient, easy-to-access location.
- Displays Jacket Art, Title, and More
- The BDP-CX960 can take advantage of your Internet connection to download movie data such as jacket art, title, genre and cast information from the Gracenote service, and display it in an intuitive, easy-to-navigate onscreen display.
- Sort and Group Your Discs
- Enjoy quick and easy navigation of your Blu-ray disc movies, DVDs and CDs with the ability to search and sort by title, genre, director, cast, and more from your remote control.
- Fully-Featured Blu-ray Disc Player
- In addition to storing and playing up to 400 discs, the BDP-CX960 offers all the capabilities of a fully-featured Blu-ray disc player, including Full HD 1080p video output, HD audio support, BD-Live access (BD-Live enabled Blu-ray Disc, USB flash memory, and Internet connection are required), and the ability to upscale standard DVDs to near HD quality over an HDMI connection.
- Rental Slot For Quick Loading a Single Disc
- Quickly insert and start watching a movie right away with the dedicated rental slot. In addition, a button on the player gives you one-touch access to the rental slot for quick loading and ejecting.
- Full HD 1080p Video Output
- Full HD 1080p video output provides high-resolution HD images so you can take full advantage of your HDTV and the detail of Blu-ray Disc video content. Blu-ray Disc, DVD and CD compatibility lets you play your favorite Blu-ray disc movies, DVDs, and audio CDs.
- BD-Live Technology
- BD-Live technology brings you the next generation of interactivity, allowing you to download and stream bonus content, such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more. (BD-Live enabled Blu-ray Disc, USB flash memory, and Internet connection are required.)
- Bonus View
- The Bonus View feature provides "picture-in-picture" capability with select Blu-ray titles—useful for viewing director or actor commentary while the movie plays.
- Built-in Ethernet Port
- An Ethernet port (RJ45 jack) provides connectivity to a home broadband connection for network updates, disc metadata downloads, and BD-Live access.
- Built-in USB Port
- A built-in USB port enables you to connect a portable USB storage device (sold separately) for additional storage capacity and lets you take advantage of specially created content from BD-Live-compatible Blu-ray discs.
- Support for Enhanced Audio Formats
- The BDP-CX960 supports both internal decoding and bitstream output of enhanced audio codecs, including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. These high definition audio formats delivers "lossless" surround sound with 7.1 channels of discrete audio that's nearly identical to the master studio recording, allowing you to enjoy uncompromised sound from the comfort of your living room.
- DVD Upscaling via HDMI
- DVD upscaling via HDMI makes your existing standard DVDs look better on your HDTV by upscaling them to near HD quality via an HDMI connection.
- Product Updates
- Product software upgrades can be easily downloaded and installed on the BDP-CX960 through your Internet connection.
- BRAVIA Sync
- BRAVIA Sync capability utilizes the HDMI CEC function to easily turn on and control your compatible HDMI-connected components via a single remote.
- 24p True Cinema
- 24p True Cinema capable lets you watch films at their intended 24 fps (frames per second)—the way movies are shot and mastered—so you can enjoy high cinematic picture quality.
- Precision Cinema HD Upscale
- Precision Cinema HD upscale uses advanced conversion and processing to detect image changes at the pixel level, rather than at the level of whole scan lines. Additionally, separate algorithms are used to process the moving and still parts of an image, resulting in sharp backgrounds with moving objects that are free from motion artifacts.
- Xross Media Bar
- The Xross media bar user interface makes it simple and intuitive to browse and search for movies, as well as navigate menus, controls, and user settings.
- Meets or Exceeds Energy Star 3.0 Standards
- The BDP-CX960 saves you energy and money by meeting or exceeding Energy Star 3.0 standards.