The Ikelite Digital SubStrobe DS-51 was created specifically for use with digital cameras because of their use of preflash metering, but it is completely compatible with all film cameras and film camera housings. The DS-51 offers 50 watt-seconds of power in a compact size with coverage adequate for lenses as wide as 28mm, or add the included diffuser for wider coverage and softer lighting. Combine multiple strobes to cover very wide angle lenses with minimal illumination of particles suspended in the water.
The DS-51 operates TTL when connected by the included sync cord to some Ikelite housings. Alternatively, the DS-51 provides a manual exposure mode with six manual power settings in half f-stop increments for precise illumination of subjects.
The Pop Bead Flex Arm allows for perfect placement of the DS-51 and is easy to adjust. The arm is lightweight for travel and measures 9" (23cm) in overall length. Additional pop beads can be purchased in 4-piece sticks to extend the arm. The included Flex Mount Ball Extended Stem allows you to mount the strobe onto an Ikelite Quick Release Handle. The stem also has room to mount the Manual Controller.
An external flash is your most important accessory. The ocean is one big, blue filter. As you descend, the reds and oranges quickly become muted shades of blue and gray. Shining a color corrected light source on your subject will bring back your subject's natural color.
- 50 Watt/seconds power with a guide #28 (underwater at ISO 100)
- Operates TTL when connected to some Ikelite housings or manual exposure mode with six manual power settings in half f-stop increments
- 70° angle of coverage, 80° with diffuser
- Recycle time of 3.5 seconds (Full power)
- Up to 200 flashes with full power batteries
- 5700° Kelvin color temperature
- The Pop Bead Flex Arm allows for perfect placement and is easy to adjust
- The included Flex Mount Ball Extended Stem allows you to mount the strobe onto an Ikelite Quick Release Handle, it also has room to mount the Manual Controller