The Ear Force X31 Wireless Digital RF Xbox 360 Headset from Turtle Beach is a headset for use with the Xbox 360 game console. It features a hybrid wireless/wired design, allowing you to receive audio from the console wirelessly while connecting the microphone to the Xbox 360 controller via an audio cable. This design allows you to hear game audio in the headphones, while at the same time using the headset for online communication when participating in games on the Xbox Live service.
The wireless transmitter connects to your Xbox 360 via its RCA stereo output. It can draw power from any one of the 360's three USB ports. The headphones themselves are powered by two AAA batteries. The detachable cable design allows you to use the headset as a pair of wireless headphones when gaming offline, connecting the mic cable to a controller only when you need to chat online with teammates and enemies.
- 2.4GHz Wireless Digital RF Technology
- The Ear Force X31 transmits game audio to the headset with an uncompressed wireless digital radio frequency (RF) signal to deliver CD-quality sound that rivals professional-grade wired headphones. The RF wireless digital technology in the X31 uses advanced "frequency-hopping" that scans the airwaves for the best signal path to provide a reliable connection even when used around wireless LANs or other RF devices. Best of all, the wireless RF signal does not require "line of sight" to operate. That means you can stand anywhere near your Xbox 360 and hear a clear, noise-free signal
- Chat Boost Dynamic Talkback Expander
- If you've ever had trouble hearing teammates on Xbox Live when the game sound heats up, then you know how frustrating it can be when you have to keep adjusting the chat volume. Chat Boost fixes this problem by automatically adjusting the Xbox Live chat level when the game gets louder, so chat from teammates isn't lost in the exciting parts of your game. During normal game volume levels, Chat Boost doesn't affect the chat level. As the game sound gets louder, Chat Boost turns up the chat volume automatically so you can still hear what everyone is saying. When the game volume quiets down, the chat level gradually returns to the normal volume setting. It's a simple solution to an annoying problem, and it all happens automatically -- so you don't have to adjust anything!
- Stereo Expander
- The X31 headset incorporates a Digital Signal Processor (DSP) that spreads the stereo game signal to provide a "wider" sound field. This results in a richer, fuller sound than conventional stereo sound-almost as if it originates from outside of the headphones. The Stereo Expander is most effective on sounds that spread across both ears, like rain, wind, and background music and can make the background sounds of a game become even more dramatic. The Stereo Expander is activated and deactivated by pushing the "Effects" button on the headset
- Bass Boost
- The X31 headset DSP also lets you turn on a Bass Boost feature that produces deep, rich bass tones by increasing the volume of low frequency sounds-just like turning up the volume on the sub-woofer on your home theater system. Bass Boost improves your gaming experience by kicking-up the sound level of explosions, gun shots and other deep-bass sound effects, making them even more dramatic. Bass Boost is activated and deactivated by pushing the "Effects" button on the headset and also works in conjunction with the Stereo Expander effect, so you can use them both together
- Microphone Monitoring
- It's hard to hear yourself speak when a headset is covering your ears. That's why you tend to talk louder. The X31 corrects this annoyance with its microphone monitoring feature. Just like a telephone, the X31 add a portion of the microphone signal into the headset signal, so you can hear some of your voice along with incoming chat and game audio. It's just enough so you can easily sense what you're saying, but not so much that it's distracting. Microphone monitoring not only keeps you from talking too loud, it also eliminates that annoying "clogged ears" feeling when talking while the headset is covering your ears
- Independent Chat/Game Volumes
- Conventional communicator headsets compromise your gaming experience by covering one ear for hearing chat audio and leaving the other ear for hearing game audio pumping from speakers. The X31 overcomes this problem by combining stereo game audio with online chat in a high fidelity stereo headset, so you'll get a better gaming experience with privacy and clarity. Separate volume controls let you adjust the game and chat levels, so you can easily balance them and never have to worry about missing a cue from your teammates
- Advanced Battery Booster Circuitry
The headset has a "battery booster" circuit that squeezes every last bit of power from the batteries and assures high quality sound until they're completely dead. This allows a pair of AAA Alkaline batteries to last for as long as 25 straight hours of game play. You can also use rechargeable batteries in place of the Alkaline batteries.
An automatic shut-off feature means you'll never have to worry about forgetting to shut off the headset to conserve battery power. When you're done playing, just put them down and they'll automatically shut off after a few minutes of silence. The indicator light will flash faster to let you know they're about to shut-down
- Powered by USB
- The transmitter is powered by a single USB port on your Xbox, or from a nearby PC or laptop. So there is no need to fuss with a separate AC power adapter