The Pentax K-x Digital SLR incorporates advanced DSLR features - including Live View and HD 720p video - in a very capable entry-level camera for those looking to step beyond the limitations of point-and-shoot digicams. Bundled with a Pentax 18-55mm zoom lens (a 27 to 82.5mm zoom on a conventional 35mm camera), the compact Pentax K-x makes the transition to a 'serious' camera system with interchangeable lenses easy and painless.
The Pentax K-x contains a 12.4-megapixel APS-C format CMOS sensor that incorporates a sensor-shift Shake Reduction System that allows you to hand-hold the camera at shutter speeds up to 4-stops slower than normal under low-light situations and still maintain image sharpness. Aside from the K-x's bright optical finder, you can also compose images in Live View mode using the camera's 2.7" LCD.
Despite the K-x's entry-level price point, still images can be captured at a fast 4.7 frames-per-second at shutter speeds up to 1/6000th-second as JPEGs or RAW files. And along with conventional still imaging, you can also capture wide-screen, full resolution 720p (1280x720) HD video at 24fps using the full range of Pentax optics. For travel or everyday family events, the Pentax K-x makes for an ideal imaging companion.
Other advanced features found on the Pentax K-x include an 11-point, wide-angle SAFOX VIII autofocus system, a variety of automatic and manual scene modes, and a True High Dynamic Range (HDR) feature that captures a series of 3 bracketed images and combines them into a single optimized image with a full range of highlight, midrange, and shadow detail.
The Pentax K-x can capture up to 1900 exposures on a set of AA lithium batteries and is also compatible with AA NiMH and alkaline batteries.
- 12.4-megapixel APS-C Format CMOS Sensor
- The K-x incorporates a newly developed CMOS image sensor to assure high-speed image data readout and more flexibility with varying ISO sensitivity levels. With approximately 12.4 effective megapixels, this image sensor accurately reproduces true-to-life images with fine detail and rich color depth. The K-x offers a wide sensitivity range between ISO 200 and ISO 6400 and allows users to expand the sensitivity range between ISO 100 and ISO 12800 via a custom function to offer greater creative freedom to photographers.
- Wide Screen HD 1280x720p Video Recording @ 24 Frames-per-Second
- The Pentax K-x movie recording function* captures true-to-life movie clips in 16:9 high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels) at a frame rate of 24 frames per second. Compatible with every Pentax interchangeable lens ever made, the Video Capture mode opens a new world of creativity for Pentax K-x owners.
- High-Speed Continuous Shooting at approximately 4.7 Images-per-Second
- The K-x's high-speed continuous shooting mode records as many as 17 images (in JPEG recording format) at a maximum speed of approximately 4.7 images per second. This is the fastest of all entry-class models. The K-x also features a more reliable shutter unit, which passed a demanding action test of more than 100,000 shutter releases. The top shutter speed of 1/6000 second allows the photographer to preserve sharp, crisp images of fast-moving subjects.
- High-Performance, High-Speed PRIME II Imaging Processor
- The K-x features the newly developed PRIME (Pentax Real Image Engine) II, that is an upgrade of the original PRIME imaging engine. This new imaging engine offers greater data processing speed and enhanced capability to produce higher-quality images with richer, more accurate color rendition, as well as faster transmission speed of movie data.
- Live View Function with Face Detection of up to 16 Faces
- In addition to the camera's viewfinder, the K-x features a Live View function that allows users to view subjects on the LCD monitor during shooting. The K-x also offers a choice of three different focusing modes in Live View: Contrast Auto Focus, Face Detection Auto Focus, and Phase Difference Auto Focus.
- Digital Filters
- The K-x's digital filter function allows users to process recorded images in a variety of creative ways within the camera and produce highly creative visual expressions. With a choice of 16 different filters including Color Extract, Retro, Soft, Starburst, Toy Camera, and more (including a custom filter for building multiple effects), photographers may apply multiple filters to a single image for customized effects.
- Cross Process Mode
- The K-x features a new Cross Process mode that automatically and randomly adds finishing touches to exposures to create eye-catching images with unique, intriguing colors (just like images treated with Cross Process* in film photography). This mode adds a whimsical element to digital photography since photographers don't know the results until the captured image is actually displayed on the camera's LCD monitor.
- High-Precision 11-Point AF Sensor
- The high-precision, wide-frame SAFOX VIII autofocus system of the K-x features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle) to automatically capture even off-centered subjects in sharp, crisp focus. Photographers also may select one of the sensors as a focusing point to accommodate specialized applications.
- Additional Features Include:
- Custom Image modes offer high quality processing for images, a 2.7" (230,000-dot) high-resolution color LCD, Auto Picture mode for effortless, automatic selection of the most appropriate shooting mode, even during Live View shooting , a Status screen for easy, at-a-glance confirmation of various settings on the LCD, 10 scene modes, including Night Scene, Surf & Snow, Sunset, Kids, and Museum available via simple icon selection, and Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 software package, with RAW-data processing and image browser functions.