The Nikon D5000 digital SLR incorporates numerous pro-quality imaging technologies normally found in pricier Nikon DSLRs in a smaller, less-expensive Nikon DX-format camera body. Key among these features are the same 12.3MP CMOS sensor found in the Nikon D90, High-Definition video capture (with sound), a 2.7" variable-angle LCD, Live View for composing stills or video from most any point-of-view, an 11-point autofocus system with Focus Tracking, and 3D Color Matrix II metering.
Other advanced Nikon features found in the D5000 include the ability to shoot in RAW, 3 levels of JPEG compression, or RAW+JPEG image capture, burst-rates up to 4 fps, an EXPEED image processor, and a 3-tier dust-removal system.
AVI-format video clips can be captured at 3 levels of compression in lengths up to 20 minutes with the ability to apply exposure compensation when shooting in Program, Shutter-priority, Aperture-priority, and Manual modes.
Depending on your needs, exposure information along with a grid screen for image composition can be displayed on the camera's multi-position LCD when shooting in Live View mode.
The Nikon D5000 is optimized for use with all AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR lenses and works with select functionality when used with Nikon Type G, D, AI-P, and non-CPU-series optics.
This Nikon comes with an AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED lens.
- 12.3MP DX-Format CMOS Image Sensor
- High-resolution imaging sensor for sharp images and the ability to output poster-size prints
- HD 720p Video Capture with D-Movie Mode
- Capture high-definition video imaging with sound using the creative options afforded by Nikon lenses. Video clips can be recorded at 1280 x 720, 640 x 424, or 320 x 216 @ 24fps. The D-Movie mode optimizes highlight and shadow details for incredible detail and tonal quality
- Vari-Angle LCD
- The Nikon D5000 is the first Nikon DSLR to offer a Vari-angle, 230,000-dot color LCD that allows you to compose still and video images from most any angle and shooting position
- Live View
- Live View mode enables you to view and compose images through-the-lens in real-time using the camera's 2.7" Vari-angle LCD
- 19 Auto-Exposure Scene Modes
- Choose among 19 pre-set exposure modes designed to deliver optimum perfect exposures under a variety of common shooting situations
- Advanced Auto-Focus Modes
- The Nikon D5000 incorporates an 11-point AF system with Nikon 3D Focus Tracking and advanced Face Detection to ensure the sharpest possible pictures
- Low-Noise ISO Sensitivity
- Low-noise images can be captured under the most challenging of lighting conditions at ISO ratings ranging from a native 200 through 3200, and can be expanded from 100 through 6400 when needed
- In-Camera Image Editing
- Highlight and shadow details, as well as red-eye reduction, image overlaying, distortion controls, and other tonal adjustments can be performed in-camera, which eliminates the need for many post-capture image adjustments
- Advanced Dust Removal Systems
- The Nikon D5000 incorporates a 3-tier dust removal system including Image Dust-Off reference data using Nikon Capture NX2 software (optional) to best ensure clean, dust-free photographs
- GPS Geotagging
- You can tag your images with precise GPS coordinates when using the Nikon GP-1 GPS unit (optional)