The Series 5000 80 mm Triplet ED APO OTA from Meade is a 3-element apochromatic refractor telescope with an aperture of 3.1" and a focal length of 480 mm. It's designed to deliver crisp wide-field viewing capability, and outstanding astrophotography performance.
Featuring a triple objective lens manufactured from high-quality ED (extra-low dispersion) glass, the Series 5000 ED APO virtually eliminates all chromatic aberration. The absence of color fringing allows for textbook-perfect pinpoint star images - with the Series 5000 ED APO, deep-sky observers can depend on stunning high-resolution viewing.
The Series 5000 ED APO OTA comes fitted with a 2.0" Crayford focuser and a Series 5000 2.0" diagonal. The manual dual-speed focusing unit offers a 10:1 gear-reduction for ultra-fine focus control. The 2.0" diagonal accepts 2.0" eyepieces, and its optical path is reported to provide up to 99% light transmission.
The Series 5000 OTA can be attached to standard photo-style tripods with its included mounting bracket that offers 1/4"-20 mounting bolts. This mounting bracket can also be secured to the existing dovetail on Meade's LXD75 tripod without modification.
- Optical Performance
- Objective: 3.1" / 80 mm
- Focal length: 480 mm f/6.0
- Optical design: 3-element apochromatic refractor
- Optical lenses: fully multicoated to enhance light transmission. Air spaced lens cells with extremely low dispersion glass
- ED glass: nearly eliminates secondary chromatic aberration. Achieves a very small change in refractive index with different wavelengths of light
- Aluminum OTA
- Retractable and removable dew shield
- Mounting bracket: 1/4"-20 bolts, compatible with most tripods, including Meade's LXD75
- Use and Handling
- Diagonal: Series 5000 2" diagonal with 99% reflectivity
- Focuser: 2.0" dual-speed Crayford style. Tension knob and lock knob included. Micrometer scale etched on draw tube. Thumbscrew clamps: non-marring Brass ring. 10:1 fine-focus ratio