The Model 188 from Aphex is an 8-channel, high-quality microphone preamp housed in a single 1U, rack-mountable chassis. In addition to the microphone preamps, the 188 has an analog to digital converter for outputting all 8-channels via ADAT optical, with up to 96kHz sample rate and SMUX support. Word clock I/O is also provided for external clocking of the converter.
The 188 was designed primarily as an integral part of the company's Anaconda Digital Snake System to be used alongside the 1788A. While it does not have all the features that are in the 1788A, it does have all of its primary functionality and performance, at a fraction of the cost. However, the unit can be used on its own anywhere that 8-channels of remote controlled microphone pre-amplification is required.
The 188's 1U rack-mount chassis makes it ideal for mobile systems with space limitations. All settings may be remote controlled via Ethernet or MIDI, using the Aphex 1788A-RC hardware remote or the 1788SW control software (PC and Mac), or via Pro Tools.
- 8-channel, remote controlled microphone preamplifier
- Transformer coupled inputs and balanced analog outputs via DB25 connector
- Analog to digital converter with dual ADAT outputs
- Internal clock rates include 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96kHz
- External clock input via BNC work clock supporting 44.1 to 96kHz clock rates
- Automatic ADAT SMUX output for 88.2 and 96kHz
- Word clock output
- 65dB of total gain
- 26dB pad, polarity reverse and low-cut filter per channel
- Remote controlled via Ethernet or MIDI, using the Aphex 1788A-RC hardware remote or the 1788SW control software (PC and Mac), or via Pro Tools