Eye Candy 6 for Mac and PC from Alien Skin Software is a plug-in for Adobe Photoshop that provides a collection of effects filters. Eye Candy's interface makes it easy to apply filters for text, selections, and textures, each of which allows the user to edit their images in unique ways. The plug-in supports non-destructive editing, allowing you to create the desired effect in a new layer. Eye Candy 6 also takes advantage of multi-core processors, giving it increased rendering performance. Create backlight effects, add icicles to text, or indicate speed with a motion trail.
New Features in Eye Candy 6
- Under the hood, the Eye Candy rendering engine has changed significantly. You will notice that the filters are much faster and can run on much larger images than before. If you have a computer with one or more multi-core CPUs, Eye Candy will take advantage of the modern hardware to accelerate its rendering speed.
- Scaling Modes
- Eye Candy 6 adaptively scales filter effects to the current image size, making it easy to get great looking results quickly. Factory settings now work better than ever in the new adaptive mode. For those who want precise control in a graphic design production environment, Eye Candy also supports a fixed mode, which allows the filter effects to be specified precisely in pixel units.
- Settings have been reorganized and now have categories. If you are new to a filter, the Settings Tour category takes you on a trip through the filter's most interesting effects. The factory settings were completely remade. There are now over 1500 carefully designed settings that handle a wide range of common design tasks.
- The Fire filter now looks more natural. Sharp edges have been smoothed to look more like realistic gaseous flames.
- Panels for Photoshop CS4 are provided for starting Eye Candy filters with a single click and for quickly creating attractive buttons.
- Non-Destructive Editing
- All of the filters now have the option to draw their output on a new layer. In Eye Candy 5 this feature was only available on some filters and it didn't work the same for all filters. Now all filters consistently apply their effect to a copy above the original layer. The new layer is named after the setting used. All of the filters work as Smart Filters when applied to Smart Objects in Photoshop. These features contribute to a non-destructive workflow.
- Professional Features
- Eye Candy is made for professionals in demanding production environments who need support for 16-bit/channel images and CMYK mode. Eye Candy 6 now takes advantage of multi-core CPUs to run fast on modern machines. Eye Candy 6 is one of the first plug-ins to work with the 64-bit version of Photoshop.