The OctoPre MkII Dynamic from Focusrite provides 8 channels of Focusrite microphone pre-amplification, 8 VCA-based Red 3-derived compressors, and built-in 24-bit/96kHz digital inputs and outputs. The unit can act as a feature-rich expansion upgrade for any digital audio workstation, or for any analog or digital console or hard disk recorder.
The Compressors are based on a feed-forward VCA design, derived from the Focusrite Red 3 hardware compressor. With just a single dial, the 8 'recording' compressors allow the user to quickly achieve the desired amount of compression for each channel, providing a natural but loud sound. The single dial solution decreases the threshold and increases the makeup gain simultaneously.
The compressors use a soft-knee progressive compression curve and feature a fixed attack time and release time. The compressor has two modes - "Normal" and "More". These settings let you change the behavior of the compressor to suit different instruments, with the "More" button doubling the ratio from 2:1 to 4:1, while shifting the threshold range.
- 8 award-winning Focusrite pre-amps form the foundation of this device, with pre-amps optimized to handle extreme levels from sound sources like acoustic drums
- 8 "single-dial" VCA-based, feed-forward compressors deliver the right amount of compression, fast - based on the character of the celebrated Focusrite Red 3
- Soft-knee design achieves transparent compression while a "More" switch doubles the ratio to deliver "compression with effect"
- Built-in 8-channel 24-bit/96kHz digital ADAT intput provides analog monitoring of any digital ADAT feed, as well as the ability to clock from any ADAT device
- Built-in 8-channel 24-bit/96kHz digital ADAT output with a "real world" dynamic range performance of 110dB
- The internal clock delivers a jitter performance of +/-20 PPM
- Industry-standard JetPLL jitter elimination technology is employed when using external clocks
- Designed not to clip, the OctoPre MkII is optimized for tracking drums and is able to handle extreme levels from sound sources like kick drums and snares
- 2 Hi-Z instrument inputs (DI) ready for plugging in guitars and bass
- Input clip and Compression active LEDs on every channel
- Fast-acting 5-LED input meters on every channel provide clear reference of input levels, and help to avoid analog or digital clipping
- Direct outputs on every channel for routing and flexibility, especially in a live environment
- +48V Phantom power available on every channel, switched in two groups (1 thru 4 and 5 thru 8)
- Internal clocking, master clocking and external clocking via BNC or ADAT
- 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96kHz sampling rates