With the TC-L42D2 42" 1080p LED LCD TV, Panasonic joins the growing number of manufacturers touting LED as tomorrow's technology available today. The vivid contrast, low operating cost, slim design and environmentally friendly attributes of LEDs are well known but recent strides in backlighting technology backed by decreasing cost have made these TVs increasingly popular.
The magic starts with the IPS (In Plane Switching) Panel which provides optimal quality even when viewed off axis. Now you can grab that cup of coffee without missing any of the action. Improved LED backlighting enables an incredible contrast ratio of 2,000,000:1 and makes the ultra thin (1.5") construction of the TC-L42D2 possible.
When it comes to action, Panasonic's got you covered. 120Hz Motion Picture Pro 4 ensures crystal clarity in fast action scenes and sports that otherwise would have gone by in a blur. Gamers will appreciate the Game Mode which accelerates scaling to maximum HD, thus eliminating lags in the action.
Videophiles will be able to have all the benefits of the movie theater at home with 24p Smooth Film which recreates the look of movies shot for the theater screen at 24 frames-per-second.
Convenience features include an SD card slot for viewing media directly from a memory card, and VIERA Link which allows you to control all of your compatible devices from a single remote instead of a basket full of them.
Lastly, you can tap into the treasure-trove of music and media that you have stored on your iPod via the included iPod dock. You can even control it with your TC-L42D2's remote.
- LED Backlight
- This system places LED backlights on the top and bottom of the panel, and sends the light toward the center of the screen. Using light guides and diffusers, it distributes the light over the entire panel to provide backlighting. There is no need to cover the entire rear surface with LEDs, so the panel module is thinner and a great deal of energy is saved.
- Dynamic Contrast 2,000,000:1 with IPS LED LCD Technology
- Both high contrast and energy-saving efficiency have been achieved in the IPS LED LCD TV by combining the IPS panel, which is known for its wide viewing angle, with a bright, energy-efficient LED backlight. Even dark scenes like night skies are naturally rendered with delicate shades of black. The Intelligent Scene Controller further boosts the image quality.
- 120Hz Motion Picture Pro 4
- Even fast-moving scenes are displayed sharply and clearly. With a 60Hz video signal input, 120Hz Motion Picture Pro 4 makes 120 fps from 60 fps. This increases the frame count to allow natural frame-to-frame transitions for smooth motion images with high resolution. Motion Focus Technology also reduces flicker and effectively suppresses blurring and after-images.
- Universal Dock for iPod
- The iPod Entertainment Kit lets you control and playback your iPod music and video directly through your VIERA HD TV.
- 24p Smooth Film
- Enjoy naturally flowing 24p films and familiar TV-like quality. This mode optimizes the number of frames of 24p images recorded from film media such as a Blu-ray Disc. Advanced source analysis and frame generation produce smooth images that are faithful to the original.
- Wide Viewing Angle
- The wide 178° viewing angle ensures clear images even when viewed from an angle. The backlight's wide transmission aperture enhances the contrast between light and dark, and improves motion-image response.
- VIERA Image Viewer
- It's easy to view full-HD images with the SD card slot. Watch and show your photos right after you take them. Simply insert an SD memory card into your VIERA HDTV to display photos on the large screen. It's much more fun when you can view them on a large screen HDTV with family and friends in 1920x1080-pixel high definition and a wide 16:9 aspect ratio.
- VIERA Link
- VIERA Link allows interconnected operation of various AV devices using only the VIERA remote control, by simply connecting compatible devices to each other by an HDMI cable.