The Gitzo GK1880CQR Series 1 Basalt Kit includes the Gitzo GT1840C Series 1 Basalt Compact Tripod and the GH1781QR Basalt Ball Head.
The tripod is constructed of a composite Basalt fiber material which provides strength and low weight. It features Gitzo's G-Lock anti-dust leg locking system which provides a "gravity lock" effect: the higher the load applied vertically to the leg, the stronger the lock. The Anti Leg Rotation (ALR) system allows you to open all the legs completely in less than 15 seconds. This compact tripod can be adjusted to work as low as ground level which is particularly useful for close-up and macro photography. Plus, a retractable hook on the center column is provided for adding weight to the tripod for added stability.
The GT1840C has a maximum load capacity of 15.42 lb (7 kg) making it a great choice for DSLRs with lenses up to a maximum of 200mm, compact digital still and DV cameras. It folds down to only 16.93" (43 cm), and has a total kit weight of 3.37 lb (1.53 kg), making this ideal for when you're on the move and when space and weight are key factors.
The GH1781QR Basalt ball head is extremely well balanced and is capable of supporting heavy equipment up to 22.5 lb (10 kg). Gitzo's bubble ball features an ultra-thin wall for weight reduction and helps to deliver a head with accurate adjustments, a low center of gravity, smooth and precise tilts ranging from +95° to -13° in addition to 360° panning. The Quick Release system provides for fast removal and replacement of your equipment, plus it is built with three bubble levels on the quick release plate and one in the ball stem for highly accurate positioning. Additionally, the GH1781QR displays Gitzo's stylish black and flame orange color scheme.
- Ground Level Set
- Ground level set allows you to remove the center column to save weight and get the camera closer to the ground...no tools needed.
- Rapid Column
- The center column locking collar above the tripod shoulder makes it easier to adjust the column quickly, with an anti-rotation grooved center column for improved stability.
- Anti Leg Rotation
- The Anti Leg Rotation (ALR) system means the tripod can be opened in less than 15 seconds by simply loosening all the twist locks on each leg at the same time, then pulling the leg down and tightening the locks individually.
- The G-Lock locking mechanism is redesigned for a 20% increase in rigidity, faster operation and stronger, safer locking. The G-Lock's design also includes a "gravity lock" effect by which the higher the load applied vertically to the leg, the stronger the lock.
- Reversible Column
- The rapid column can easily be inverted for an alternative shooting angle or low-level macro work.
- 3 Positions Leg Angle
- The GT1840C is able to independently position the tripod legs in three positions.
- The built-in, retractable hook allows you to hang a stabilizing weight (e.g. a full camera bag or a sand/water bag) from the bottom of the tripod center column. Useful with long and heavy lenses, on uneven ground or in windy conditions.
Ball Head Features
- Spring Assisted Double Lock
- The new center SADL (Spring Assisted Double Lock) is a patent pending system that combines two locking systems in one, that maximizes both locking power and ball smoothness. A high friction metal guarantees a high efficiency lock, the PTFE bushing controlled by a pre loaded spring maximizes smoothness and control.
- Separate Pan Control
- When using a ball head, the ability to lock and unlock the panoramic movement independent of front-back or lateral tilt movements is convenient for panoramic photography and when a high level of control is required.
- Double Quick Release Safety System
- The double quick release safety system consists of two pins, one fixed and one manually operated by means of a button, that prevent camera equipment from suddenly dropping out of the head when the quick release locking knob is released. Extremely useful with heavy equipment, long lenses and spotting scopes.
- Safe Grip
- Safe Grip is a material that gives a safer lock between your camera and the head plate, preventing the camera from moving or slipping. It is used on quick release plates and in applications where the camera equipment is screwed to the support to reduce pivoting and twisting.
- Leveling Bubble
- The leveling system, made of three independent leveling bubbles on the quick release plate and one in the ball stem, always guarantees perfectly leveled images. The problem that affects many high quality heads in the market regarding drift angle is absolutely minimized with an outstanding value of 0.03°.
- Bubble Ball
- Gitzo has developed an exclusive technology that enables production of high quality completely round hollow spheres, with an ultra thin wall, for an incredible weight reduction. Gitzo Bubble Ball also features a perfected PTFE treatment that further reduces the surface micro roughness for the ultimate shooting experience and accuracy.