The HV-3D 4 from Millenia is a 4-channel microphone preamp that is based on the philosophy that "coloring "at source is not a good idea, and that maintaining the clarity and integrity of the signal through the recording and production process, is critical to communicating the artist's intention and individuality. The unit is housed in a 2U rack mount chassis.
Digital workstations offer unlimited tracks and total creative freedom. But even the most advanced plug-ins cannot "un-color" a recording, and can't restore lost upper harmonic partials, or the ambience that was contained in the moment of performance. To that end, the preamp is designed to transmit microphone signals to recording devices unaltered, and not to impose a "signature" on the basic tracks.
While working on the design of the microphone preamp, the engineers at Millenia came to the conclusion that there's no such thing as a straight wire with gain. But the HV-3D's transformerless input, balanced audio path, and minimal amplifier design is as close as one can get to the goal of absolute accuracy and uncompromised sonic realism.
- 4-channel microphone preamp that records vividly realistic musical performances with very little effort
- Unsurpassed ambience retrieval
- Transformerless design with matched hi-speed discrete transistor octet has 23dB input headroom - no attenuator "pads" needed
- Uncolored timbral accuracy at all dynamic levels
- Entirely balanced audio path with precision components maintains signal integrity
- Laser-trimmed FET-based output stage has 32dB headroom and can drive 1,000 foot (300m) cable runs with ease
- Standard 36-step gain controls (1.5dB per step) are stereo matched to 0.08dB
- Ultra-clean toroidal power supply
- Gold audio connectors and switches
- Mogami Neglex OFC audio wiring
- Silver Teflon power wiring
- Welded 16-gauge steel rack chassis