The Denon S-5BD Integrated 5.1 AV Receiver & Blu-ray / DVD / CD Player is an AVR/BD combo unit that effortlessly combines high quality audio with Profile 2.0 Blu-ray playback capability delivered in an elegant, streamlined package. Its slew of features and classic design make it ideal for custom installations while its performance is on par with audiophile standards.
The award-winning S-5BD offers support for high definition visuals along with high definition surround sound decoders including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. The unit features AL24 processing to reduce distortion and accurately reproduce the original analog waveform while Denon's direct mechanical ground construction reduces vibration to optimize its audio support. The convenient Audessy volume control balances commercials and other loud source material with softer volumes, so you don't have to reach for the remote to manually balance the volume.
Proprietary Audessy MultEQ provides room acoustic measurement and correction, sensing the amount and type of speakers that are connected and then customizing the sound to the environment. This process uses the included microphone, which plugs into the front panel.
With support of HDMI 1.4 for Audio Return Channel capability, iPod connectivity and support of 2-source, dual-zone sound, this unit packs many features into its intelligent design. Multi-channel analog outputs allow for 5.1 configuration or 7.1 with the addition of a power amp. Meanwhile, 1080p/24p video output and DVD scaling up to 1080p offer enhanced picture quality. Of course, it also gives you the interconnectivity of BD-Live when paired with an internet connection and memory card with 1GB of memory.
The front panel carries on in sophistication yet gives you convenience at your fingertips. Unique peripheral jackknife doors open to reveal an HDMI and USB port that accommodates your iPod directly, and an SD memory card slot to display photos or other media. When not in use, these doors swing down to maintain the unit's sleek profile. The graphical user interface of the unit is easy to navigate, and the Glo-key remote features glow buttons for use in dark viewing environments.
- AL24 Processing
- Denon's proprietary AL24 processing reduces quantization distortion and supports higher numbers of bits and higher sampling rates to support future media. This system interpolates input data to reproduce the original analog waveform.
- Audessy MultEQ
- This system measures and corrects the audio characteristics of your speaker system using the included microphone with up to 6 measurement points. It takes into account the number and type of speakers and makes fine tuning adjustments accordingly. The sound of the system is automatically customized for your space, ensuring optimum audio quality.
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume
- This intuitive feature evens out variations between TV programming, commercials and the volume contrast in movies. This way you don't have to touch the controls to make minute volume adjustments when volume levels change. It's perfect for late night viewing or when watching standard TV programs with commercials in between.
- 5 Channels of Power
- Connect 5 speakers without separate power amps for the pre-outs. Accompanying Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES sound modes, you can connect the surround back speaker to the main amplifier without adding a power amplifier to support 5.1 surround formats. Internal amplifiers power each channel independently and you can enjoy the same high power output capability per channel. This system delivers balanced, exceptional quality surround sound.
- Solid Construction
- Achieve optimum quality audio and video thanks to the quality build of this unit. Direct mechanical ground construction reduces jitter and independent block construction protects the system against electromagnetic interference for a strong signal. Digital, power amplifier, and pre-amplifier stages each have their own power supply for reduced power consumption in standby mode and quality performance.
- Compressed Audio Restoration
- This feature enhances your digital music files when playing them, to restore their original condition before compression. Additionally, it adjusts the volume sense in the low range. Get a higher quality playback from your WMA and MP3 files.
- HDMI 1.4
- The unit supports HDMI version 1.4, which introduces the option of an Audio Return Channel. This means that the unit can receive audio data from your TV via an HDMI cable without the use of additional cabling, giving you more flexibility without needing an additional S/PDIF audio connection. Of course, it additionally supports Deep Color meaning it can transfer 10-bit, 12-bit and 16-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths and x.v. color, allowing for a broader color space.
- 2.0/2.1 Channel Dynamic Play
- This assigns surround channel amplifiers to the front channel amplifiers to give you a richer, fuller sound from just two speakers. It is implemented automatically without any additional setup requirements.
- BD-Live 2.0 Readiness
- Take advantage of the BD-Live capability of this unit using the Ethernet connection on the back panel. This means you can download and view online bonus materials, along with an SD memory card with at least 1GB of memory inserted into the front-panel slot.
- Multiple Audio Format Support
- The unit supports Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, DTS 96/24, dts-ES Extended Surround and dts Neo:6 Surround encoded discs. It also supports Dolby Virtual Speaker technology to realistically simulate a 5.1 surround experience from just two speakers. The system automatically switches to surround sound when showing video programs, and chooses stereo on its own when it has a music source.
- Cinema Equalizer
- Audio recorded in Dolby Digital, DTS, or other formats tend to emphasize high-frequency range because of front speaker placement in an actual movie theater. Without any adjustment, the high-frequency range can be too intense in a dedicated home theater setup. The amplifier with this system features a Cinema Equalizer to balance the high-frequency components to create a clearer sound designed for home theater implementation.
- Multi-Room Functionality
- Select separate audio sources for listening in different locations. Different sources can be played in the main room and in other rooms simultaneously.
- Front Panel Access
- Concealed by the swinging jackknife doors when not in use for a clutter-free space, the front panel of the unit allows easy access to an HDMI port that accommodates a digital camcorder, inputs for an iPod or USB memory player and also a slot for an SD memory card.
- iPod Connectivity
- Charge, control and play media from your iPod anytime it is hooked into the front-panel USB port. This unit is designed to work with iPod devices either through connection with a cable or by hooking it into an optional additional dock like the Denon ASD-51N or ASD-51W. Featuring Plug N Play, playback begins immediately when you connect your iPod or memory player to the unit.
- Remote Control Functionality
- The front of the remote has larger buttons that are frequently used, and less necessary ones are situated at the back. Additionally the One Touch Play feature automatically switches on power to the TV input and immediately begins the movie, along with an HDMI CEC-enabled TV. This remote can additionally control other devices from other manufacturers.