The Sony WLL-CA55 MPEG Wireless Adapter is part of a wireless camera system that allows the digital transmission of broadcast-quality MPEG-2 video from a Sony camera to an OB van or other mobile studio. With the increased gain in mobility that untethering the camera from its base provides, the WLL-CA55 brings new levels of accessibility to covering live events such as news and sports. The unit docks easily to the back of nearly any SD camera with a standard V-mount interface and Sony 68-pin camcorder output, and has an effective range of 750-1,500 yards (686-1,372m) depending on line of sight.
Note: Requires use of WLL-RX55 Receiver, which must be purchased separately.
- Compact Construction
- The WLL-CA55 is a compact adapter which fits directly on most Sony camcorders to provide very quick and easy conversion to wireless mode. It weighs just 4.4 lbs (2kg), and is virtually the same size as a triax adapter. A standard Sony battery fits directly to the rear of the adapter.
- Direct Docking to Sony Camcorders
- No connecting cables are required between the WLL-CA55 and the camera. All video and audio signals are connected through the multi-pin docking connector. Similarly the wireless microphone receiver which provides return control of the camera also slots in to the adapter, with no additional cables.
- Compatible w/Most Sony Broadcast Camcorders
Compatible camcorders include:
- Simple Menu Operation
- All transmitting parameters are controlled using an LCD display on the side of the adapter, and operation is simple to use for efficient field operation. Operating frequencies, modulation parameters, interleaving modes, etc., can be quickly recalled using a variety of preset operating modes. The LCD also allows the user to configure the intercom and tally facilities.
- Secure Encryption Key
- To ensure that the transmitted signal can only be received by an authorized person, a three digit Encryption Key code can be added to the transmitted signal. The signal is then scrambled, and the same key must be entered in the receiver in order to receive the signal.
- Programmable Operating Frequency
- The Wireless Link system can be set to one of 7 preset operating frequencies in the 2.4 GHz band. These frequencies are set with 12 MHz channel spacing. The actual occupied bandwidth is only 8MHz, which leaves a 2 MHz guard band at both ends of the channel. If required (to avoid interference, for example), the center frequency can be manually adjusted in 1 MHz steps within each channel.
- User Selectable Operating Parameters
- Five different transmission modes are available, offering different combinations of data rates and modulation techniques. These preset modes can be quickly selected using the LCD screen, without requiring any prior knowledge of RF transmission systems. In addition, a fully customizable User Mode allows customization to suit other requirements.
- Full Remote Control
- The WLL-CA55/RX55 system includes full camera remote control capability using a standard Sony 700 series remote control panel. The wireless camera can therefore be seamlessly integrated into a multi-camera OB environment. Return control of the camera is provided by a standard Sony wireless microphone receiver, which slots directly into the WLL-CA55 and does not require any additional cables. Intercom and tally facilities are also included.
- Full Camera Genlock
- The WLL-CA55/RX55 system includes genlock of the camera head. As a result, no external synchronizer is required, thus reducing the total video delay.
- Transmission Status Display in Viewfinder
- The transmitter may be configured to display status information superimposed as a character display in the camera viewfinder. This display also includes a bar graph to confirm the signal strength being received by the WLL-RX55 receiver. The cameraman is therefore warned if he is moving outside the reception range of the system.