The Mac mini with Mac OS X Server Desktop Computer from Apple is a quiet and compact desktop server in a sleek aluminum unibody enclosure. The system, only 7.7" square and 1.4" high, is a great option for users who would like a compact, inexpensive system to use as a server. It ships sans optical drive, keyboard, mouse, and monitor, allowing you to add peripherals as needed.
The system is powered by 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and includes 4GB of RAM, two 500GB 7200rpm hard drives, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, dual-band 802.11n AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi, and integrated nVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics.
The 64-bit server operating system can serve data to an unlimited number of PC and Mac clients. It features an innovative Server Assistant application which makes it easy for practically anyone to configure. The versatile server can be used in home, IT, Enterprise, web hosting, and many other environments.
Due to Apple's OS upgrade, the preinstalled OS may be Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or OS X 10.7 Lion.
All Apple computers purchased on or after July 21, 2011 can be upgraded to Lion via free download from the Mac App Store within 30 days of purchase.
There's a Whole Server in There
- What is Mac mini with Mac OS X Server?
- Exactly what you'd expect -- a Mac mini specifically designed to be a server. Instead of a SuperDrive, there are two 500GB 7200rpm hard drives that give you all the storage you need to help your group work more efficiently than ever
- Mac mini Means Business: Small Business
- Mac mini with Mac OS X Server is designed to help you communicate, collaborate, and share information. It's perfect for any small business or group -- retail shops, medical and law offices, classrooms, design studios -- you name it. Now you can have your own server that supports e-mail on Mac computers, PCs, iPhone, and iPad. Sync and share calendars and contact information. Access and swap files securely -- and at lightning speed -- between Mac computers and PCs. Easily create full-featured wikis and high-quality podcasts. And automatically back up all your important data
- The More Users the Merrier
- Mac mini with Mac OS X Server lets you add an unlimited number of Mac and PC users without per-user licensing fees. So you can grow your business without growing your costs. And you get amazing hardware and software that are ready to go, right out of the box, for less than the cost of most server software alone
Ready, Set Up, Go
- Server Assistant: Your Own Mini IT Department
- The Mac is famously easy to use, and so is Mac mini with Mac OS X Server. That makes it perfect for people who've never run a server before or for overtaxed IT departments. Server Assistant will walk you through the setup process step by step. And if you want help at any stage, just click the "?" icon for more information
- Management Skills
- Tools like Server Preferences let you quickly set up all your key services and manage users and groups. A Server Status Dashboard widget makes it easy to keep an eye on the status of services such as e-mail, file sharing, web hosting, and more
- Open for Business: Integration and Compatibility
- Advanced network hardware and software make it incredibly simple to integrate Mac mini with Mac OS X Server into any Mac or PC environment. It is compatible with a wide range of displays, keyboards, mice, and other peripherals, so you can put it to work with the equipment you already have
- Small, But Powerful
- Mac mini with Mac OS X Server features a 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4GB of memory with support for up to 8GB. It also has two 500GB 7200rpm hard drives built in, so you can host wikis and websites, back up the data you need, and store just about anything
- If you ever want to burn discs or install additional software, consider the external USB-based MacBook Air SuperDrive. It takes up very little space and easily connects to Mac mini with a single USB cable -- there's no separate power adapter
- Space Saver, Energy Saver
- Mac mini with Mac OS X Server uses less than 11 watts of power when idle. That's a fraction of the power consumed by a similarly equipped tower server. It's also made from highly recyclable aluminum, so it has a big impact on the way your office works and a tiny impact on the planet
- AirPort Extreme & Bluetooth
- The integrated AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi will let you get online without wires. You'll be able to connect to networks with ease, even those that operate on the less-common 5GHz radio band. The system also features a Bluetooth 2.1+EDR module, allowing it to communicate with compatible wireless peripherals such as keyboards, mice, cell phones, and headsets
The Mac Experience
- Environmentally Friendly Design
- Apple understands that the Earth is our most precious resource. They've worked to create a computer that is energy efficient, free of many toxins, and highly recyclable. Because Apple designs both hardware and software, the Mac mini is able to use a highly efficient power supply that reduces wasted power. The computer is free of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and brominated flame retardants (BFRs). When the computer reaches the end of its long life, you can rest assured that it can be recycled. It is constructed from materials, including aluminum and glass, that are highly desirable to recyclers. The Mac mini has been awarded EPEAT Gold status for responsible manufacture, energy efficiency, and recyclability
- Tech Support
- Have a problem with your Mac? Get support and advice at the Genius Bar, located at every Apple Retail Store. Apple also provides online tutorials, troubleshooting forums, and 90 days of phone support for users who aren't able to make it to an Apple store
- Optional AppleCare
- Apple provides 90 days of free phone support and a 1-year limited hardware warranty on the computer. You can opt to add an AppleCare Protection Plan, at additional cost, which covers support and repairs for 3 years from the date of purchase. AppleCare can be purchased at any time within the first year of ownership of the computer