The Mac mini Desktop Computer from Apple is a quiet and compact desktop computer in a sleek aluminum unibody enclosure. The system, only 7.7" square and 1.4" high, is a great option for users who would like an inexpensive, yet fully-functional, desktop Mac. The mini ships sans keyboard, mouse, and monitor, allowing you to choose the accessories that best suit your needs for use with the system.
The computer ships with Apple's popular iLife '09 software suite which includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD, iWeb, and GarageBand. Also included is Apple's innovative Front Row application, which gives you access to all of your media via an intuitive full-screen interface. The system features an HDMI output port, making it a great option for users who would like a home theater computer for Internet video streaming and big-screen computer gaming. An optional remote control is available separately for purchase.
The system is powered by 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and includes 2GB of RAM, a 320GB 5400rpm hard drive, a slot-loading SuperDrive, Bluetooth, dual-band 802.11n AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi, an SD card reader, and integrated nVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics.
The 64-bit OS features Time Machine backup, which automatically backs up system data to an external hard drive. It also features intuitive Cover Flow navigation, the powerful Spotlight search tool, and Quick Look document preview. You'll be able to use Boot Camp to run Windows on your Mac, or Front Row to turn your Mac into an impressive media player.
Due to Apple's OS upgrade, the preinstalled OS may be Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or OS X 10.7 Lion.
All Apple computers purchased on or after July 21, 2011 can be upgraded to Lion via free download from the Mac App Store within 30 days of purchase.
- Full Metal Jacket
- Mac mini features an all-new, 1.4-inch-thin aluminum enclosure. It's called the unibody -- a seamless enclosure carved from a single, solid block of aluminum. The unibody construction was originally developed for Apple's MacBook Pro. It's created using computer numerical control, or CNC, machines -- the same kind used by the aerospace industry to build mission-critical spacecraft components. This ensures absolute precision of every component of the Mac mini enclosure. Not to mention a stunning aluminum fit and finish that will make any desk proud
- Size Wise: It Makes the Most of Every Micron
- You may notice something missing from this Mac mini: the power supply. Actually, its power supply is built in. So there's no bulky brick, and there are fewer cables to connect. Which means Mac mini takes up even less space than before. A removable panel on the bottom of Mac mini makes upgrading the memory virtually painless. And once you're inside, you'll see how clean and organized Mac mini is. With attention paid to the tiniest detail. Like the air intake and vents. They're practically invisible. And when the fan is running, you'll barely hear it. It's kind of surprising how so much fits into something so mini
- Major Ports, Major Possibilities
- Now Mac mini makes it easier than ever to hook up to an HDTV or digital display using the HDMI port and Mini DisplayPort. There's also a built-in SD card slot so you can grab photos and videos from your digital still or video camera. And even though Mac mini is ultracompact, there's no shortage of ports. Which means the possibilities are endless. When you connect your peripherals and devices to Mac mini, you'll notice that even the back has been carefully considered. And on the front of Mac mini is the fast, slot-loading SuperDrive for playing DVDs and CDs -- or burning your own
- The World's Most Energy-Efficient Desktop Computer
- What Mac mini doesn't do could be its biggest feat. It doesn't waste energy. When Mac mini is idle, it consumes less than 10 watts -- a 25 percent reduction from the previous generation. No other desktop computer does that. Mac mini is made from highly recyclable aluminum. And its redesigned, lighter package makes it more efficient to ship
Plays Well with Others
- An Incredibly Compatible Computer
- If you already have it, chances are you can use it with Mac mini. Plug in your own display, keyboard, and mouse. Turn it on. And just like that, everything works together. You can even swap peripherals with another desktop computer. That's one of the great things about Mac mini. You can mix and match it with just about anything
- Mac mini Comes to the Big Screen
- It's easy to connect Mac mini to the biggest screen in the house -- your HDTV -- courtesy of a built-in HDMI port. Plug in one HDMI cable and start enjoying content on your Mac mini in brilliant HD. Like movies and TV shows from iTunes, the Internet, and your photo library. There's also a handy control that lets you easily adjust the output on Mac mini to fill even the biggest HDTV screen. And when you just want to listen to music, you can play your entire iTunes collection through your home entertainment center, or stream it to a set of speakers in any room via an AirPort Express Base Station
- Plenty of Ports Make It Ready for Anything
- Mac mini makes things happen. It can connect to any digital display right out of the box. In addition to HDMI, Mac mini comes with both Mini DisplayPort output and an HDMI-to-DVI adapter, so it's ready to connect to the Apple LED Cinema Display or a third-party display you already have. You can even connect two displays to see more of your photos, movies, and files. And there's a built-in SD card slot, which makes it easy to grab photos and videos from your digital still or video camera. Mac mini gives you ports galore: four USB 2.0 ports and one FireWire-800 port, so you can plug in your keyboard, mouse, iPod, iPhone, iPad, digital camera, DV camcorder, external hard drive, printer, and just about any other device you use
A Great Little Performer
- Souped-Up Graphics
- Mac mini refuses to act its size. It gives you next-generation nVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics -- the fastest integrated graphics processor on the market today -- and speedy DDR3 memory. With 48 processing cores and 256MB of shared video memory, this graphics processor delivers up to twice the performance of the previous generation. It brings more pixel-pushing power to the latest 3D games and graphics-intensive applications. And you'll notice a big difference when you work with high-resolution photos and high-definition video. The most surprising part? You don't have to sacrifice efficiency for speed. The nVIDIA GeForce 320M is more energy efficient than its predecessor. All of which proves you really can do more with less
- More Memory, More Oomph
- A little Mac mini goes a long way. The system features 2GB of installed memory, with support for up to 8GB -- twice that of the previous generation. So now you can run more applications at the same time. Mac mini is powered by a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, with a superfast 1066MHz frontside bus and 3MB of L2 cache for a nice little performance boost. Which goes to show that size can be deceiving
- Instant Connection
- The latest 802.11n wireless technology is built into every Mac mini. It automatically connects to your Wi-Fi network, so you can get right down to browsing the web, printing, and streaming your music wirelessly. Bluetooth wireless technology is also built in, so you can connect accessories such as a wireless keyboard and mouse
Storage and Memory: There's Room to Grow
- Personal Space
- Now you get a 320GB hard drive to pack in your photo libraries, movies, music, files, and more, more, more. You can also play and burn all the DVDs and CDs you want with the fast, slot-loading SuperDrive
- DIY Memory
- Thanks to a removable bottom panel, now it's easy to open Mac mini and add memory. Just a slight twist of the panel, and you're inside Mac mini. Simply pop your memory into the SO-DIMM slot, then twist the panel back on. And you're done
The Mac Experience
- Every Day Use
- Every Mac is designed to make your life easier, not more difficult. This Mac mini gives you all the tools you need for e-mail, personal organization, Internet browsing, watching movies, and more. Its software and hardware are designed work to together seamlessly, eliminating the compatibility nightmares that often plague PC users. What's more, the Mac mini can run Windows via Boot Camp, perfect for users who have a Windows-only application that they absolutely need to use. Powered by an Intel dual-core CPU, the Mac mini is fully loaded with 3D graphics, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
- iLife '09
- The included iLife '09 suite is a suite of applications that helps you organize your digital life. It includes iPhoto for photo management and editing, iMovie for HD video editing, iDVD to burn your movies to disc, GarageBand for music production, and iWeb for web publishing
- Secure and Reliable
- Worried about viruses and malware? Don't be. The Mac mini isn't plagued by constant attacks from the outside world. It is designed to be secure out of the box, eliminating the need for additional software to protect your system from danger. OS X will warn you if a downloaded file is potentially dangerous, ensuring that you don't accidentally open a malicious application. Apple responds quickly to any security threats, prompting you to download updates that keep your Mac up to date and safe
- Environmentally Friendly Design
- Apple understands that the Earth is our most precious resource. They've worked to create a computer that is energy efficient, free of many toxins, and highly recyclable. Because Apple designs both hardware and software, the Mac mini is able to use a highly efficient power supply that reduces wasted power. The computer is free of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and brominated flame retardants (BFRs). When the computer reaches the end of its long life, you can rest assured that it can be recycled. It is constructed from materials, including aluminum and glass, that are highly desirable to recyclers. The Mac mini has been awarded EPEAT Gold status for responsible manufacture, energy efficiency, and recyclability
- Tech Support
- Have a problem with your Mac? Get support and advice at the Genius Bar, located at every Apple Retail Store. Apple also provides online tutorials, troubleshooting forums, and 90 days of phone support for users who aren't able to make it to an Apple store
- Optional AppleCare
- Apple provides 90 days of free phone support and a 1-year limited hardware warranty on the computer. You can opt to add an AppleCare Protection Plan, at additional cost, which covers support and repairs for 3 years from the date of purchase. AppleCare can be purchased at any time within the first year of ownership of the computer